got ethical husbandry?

Xenia Outbreak

Looking BARs advice.... Ok so I got a few Xenia on some live rock when I set up my new BioCube 29and I was really happy with them adding character to my tank. A few months down the line and these guys are popping up everywhere. When I cut them off the rock they just regrow two fold in a couple weeks. I'm now worried they take over my tank! They are not a problem yet but a few more months time they will be

Any tips for slowing them or getting rid of some? I'm worried if I scrape them off the rock the little bits will spread even more... please help!

IMG_0445.jpg

Best advice I've gotten with Xenia is to start them high in the tank and they generally spread less. As for removing them I don't know of any way short of chipping of the rock they're attached to and removing or regular trimmings.

Buy some Aiptasia-X made by Red Sea. It will not kill them but they will recede for about 3 weeks. Then you can do it over again. Put some just around the outside and work in to what ever size you want them to stay at.
You have a nice looking aquarium!

Buy some Aiptasia-X made by Red Sea. It will not kill them but they will recede for about 3 weeks. Then you can do it over again. Put some just around the outside and work in to what ever size you want them to stay at.
You have a nice looking aquarium!

Thanks for the tip!

Holy cow. They're invasive.

Aquarium Kudzu!

I'm trying to get rid of a patch. So far I've placed two aggressive corals next to them - Galaxia and a Hammer. I could hear the Xenia yell, "Bring it on, dude!" :D

Next I trimmed and siphoned. That didn't do it.

I'm going to try trimming then Aiptasia-X next.

My biggest fear is the trimming is just propagating it. :eek:

Take the rock out and boil it. Be rid of them forever! I've also superglued over them. Make sure to completely cover them or they will be back.

You can try removing the rock, chopping it off and scrub the hell outta it under old tank water, that way you don't kill the beneficial bacteria. And rinse well so you have any polyp sitting on the rock again...

I like them.....but you can get small rocks next to them. Let them grow on the new rock. Then remove the rock. This will let you keep the ones you want ant remove the others.....no chemicals needed.

I like them.....but you can get small rocks next to them. Let them grow on the new rock. Then remove the rock. This will let you keep the ones you want ant remove the others.....no chemicals needed.

My original group was on a rock 3-4 inches away from the main rock in the tank. One day I noticed 3-4 polyps at the top of a rock pile 2 feet away from the original group. Kudzu, I tell you, kudzu! :)

Way back then (3 months ago?) I thought they were cute. Pulse, pulse...

Now, kudzu!

I like them too - pulse, pulse... but I often have to prune them back and pick off any new growth where I don't want them. I remove them by gently and slowly pulling off thick stems - slimy but it works if you are patient. Cutting them off doesn't work at all.

Thanks for all the responses, I think I'm going to try contain them for now trimming and getting them to grow on other rocks I don't want. If that doesn't work ill have to try something more drastic.

Xenia coming soon on DBTC :)

cut them, then put a little superglue over the base. That would be my best recommendation to help control the ones you don't want. Get them while they're still small! I do this for my green star polyps. I love them, but they would destroy my entire tank if I didn't keep them under control.

edit: The method of putting rocks around it won't work very well. I' had a small piece of xenia break off previously, and it floated across the tank and started a new colony. Sneaky little buggers

I've just kalk pasted them..... mix up a thick paste, turn off all water movement, dab on, wait 10-15 mins. then turn back all water movement and skimmer. Repeat as needed

In the past, during summertime heat waves I have had the xenia colonies collapse completely. The kalk paste sounds like a good plan, just be careful not to kill off anything else.

Lol looks like you have a good problem. You can probably sell they to your local fish store to 3-5 bucks store credit. If you really want to keep the dead bio mass to a minimum I would cut them with some clippers then flip the rock upside down or break the base where the rock and flesh meet or throw them on some frag plugs and get some store credit for some fish food lol .

When my xenia spread I just ripped them out to control them. You need to get a good grip toward the base and they will rip off. They will regrow if there is a bit of a foot left.

Back