Reef nutrition

Yasha Gobies bred in Captivity

Roger Williams University has succesfully bred Yasha Gobies!

image.jpg

Yasha Goby Rearing Project:

The home aquarium industry is seeing a shift towards smaller “nano” exhibits that replicate complex coral reef ecosystems. As such, the market is seeing a surge in the demand for smaller fish species, such as gobies. Due to their small size, vibrant coloration, and unlikely partnership with pistol shrimps, the Yasha Goby (Stonogobiops yasha) is one of the most sought-after tropical marine gobies. However, due to the cryptic nature (cave-dwelling) of the Yasha Goby, hobbyist demand far outweighs the sporadic supply of individuals collected from the wild. Furthermore, those that do enter the trade are often emaciated and in poor physical condition.

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2016/03/23/video-yasha-goby-stonogobiops-yasha-reared-in-captivity/

Around the bay area I see these fish at stores seasonally. Its definitely one of my must have fish. When I upgrade my tank I will have one or two with a pistol shrimp. Love their long dorsal spine.

Price ranges from 60-120$.

Mine as well. Unfortunately I have not been able to keep 1 for any length of time. Next time I think I'll qt longer and make sure they eat, then a longer acclimation period in tank with a box. I think they get spooked really easily and starve when they don't come out to eat with other fish in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back