Cali Kid Corals

Yes another lighting question.

I have read a few posts about lighting and it has come time for me to get new lighting for my reef. I have a 100 gal display with a 40 gal refigum/sump. I have alot of softies, a few stonys, and two clams. I would like to be able to keep sps, but i think with the current enhabitants that wont be possible. However i would like to have it so it is a option to keep the sps because i would like to get rid of the softies for them.

Its needs to be retrofit to my hood, and i will be venting the hood with most likely 4 fans two exhaust and two intake. So please tell me what you would run on the tank. I dont really want to spend over 1k on it all but if need be that is a option. Electricity is not a issue. What would you get and where would you get it?

-Andrew

How tall is your hood. That is how much clearance do you have between the highest point underneath and the water.

If you are planning at all to do MH's you want to have a decent amount of room (maybe 12"). I run 2 250W's on my 72 and it is more then enough light. I also do some VHO's but it is more for color then light.

Unless you have a very large hood or are willing to mount something on top and cut holes in your lid you are going to be limited with reflectors.

its not very tall. I would say maybe 6-8 inches with out getting out the tap measure. I could modify it to make it taller though. That wouldnt be too hard.

If you can raise your canopy, use 2x250W MH plus T5s or VHOs for supplement. You should be able to keep everything with those light.

Some cut the holes on top of the canopy and put the MH pendant on top and install T5s/VHOs inside the canopy. That works too.

What are the demensions of the tank?

If it is a 100 long and not tall you could just run T5 HO in the canopy you have.

Also the hood that i have opens up into two compartments. The top has two halfs that open seperatly. Do you think it is better to attach them together so they open as one and i am able to put the longer T-5's on it or should i get shorter T-5's and have them be able to open seperatly?

What do you guys think of the pendents? What kind of bulb do they take? Moguel, or HQI? Anyone have any experience with them? Do you think it is better to rework the hood to be able to fit the halides inside? Where should i go to either pickup or order the lights. My store doesnt get much of a discount on the lights so i have a feeling that getting them online somewhere would be the best deal.

Back