Kessil

yet another anemone question, so sorry

Recently, all my BTA's split. I had three, now I have six. Problem is that one of the anemone is being a rebel, and detached itself from the rock work in search of a new home. All of my pumps are protected, so I let it drift during the night when the light are out. It settled on the backside of the rocks, upside down in a hole; it isn't getting any light down there. I know the BTA is eventually going to just wander to a more suitable place, with more light. It is however right next to a big patch of proto-palys (which I do not care for, btw). Should the anemone decide to go for a run through the proto-palys, and manage to kill a good number of them, well there be a large amount of paly-toxin released into my tank (providing these palys even contain it)?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I've read palytoxin is stable in salt water. I don't think palytoxin will be the cause of any problems if your protopalys die. I think you may have a problem just because something is dying in your water (not because of palytoxin).

iani said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I've read palytoxin is stable in salt water. I don't think palytoxin will be the cause of any problems if your protopalys die. I think you may have a problem just because something is dying in your water (not because of palytoxin).

Dunno about that but I can tell you a dozen people who's tanks crashed due to what they can only tell as stressed paly's. Sanjay lost the Penn State tank to this problem. Nothing was dead in his tank, the temp dropped way down which stressed the palys, they slimed, and the tank died.

Okay, well I guess it could not hurt to do a series of water changes over a couple days if the anemone decides to go for a joy run.

GreshamH said:
iani said:

Dunno about that but I can tell you a dozen people who's tanks crashed due to what they can only tell as stressed paly's. Sanjay lost the Penn State tank to this problem. Nothing was dead in his tank, the temp dropped way down which stressed the palys, they slimed, and the tank died.

Here we go
"Palytoxins are stable in seawater and lower alcohols."
http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/Palytoxin.html

I was just saying he will probably have a problem, however the problem might not necessarily be due to palytoxin.

Yeah, I started with 1 little baby from a reefer... it split, split some more, sold a few along the way, split some more, now I have 8 or so last I checked.

Gah, now a third anemone is roaming around!
Has anyone ever had an anemone move into a hole, or a shaded area of the tank with no light, and have it not come back out?

A_Lee said:
Gah, now a third anemone is roaming around!
Has anyone ever had an anemone move into a hole, or a shaded area of the tank with no light, and have it not come back out?

It'll come out and most likely wind up in the worst spot possible :D

Back