Kessil

Yet another cube, small cube thing in progress.

A while back I inquired about a modular type of stand. The issue on ready available stands is in a lot of cases, the height, both inside the stand and to have the tank at eye-level.
Where the tank will sit is in a corner of a basement (secret location), the stand has to pass trough a doorway barely 32" wide but the stand has to be as close as possible to the three foot mark total height.
Stand will have a base where it will sit, increasing height by ~5" and bringing it up below the 36" mark.
I had the idea for a while now and today due to rain I took to the task.
Few months back I bought some 2x6's from Home Depot 85% off. Trimmed them to 1" x 3" and will provide the frame to work from. Red oak ply is my standard choice and will add structural stability. The top (stand) will sit on the bottom riser frame in a rabbet sort of way and will have fasteners so it can be taken apart in case it needs to go out the door. Stand is square on top 36 1/4 x 36 1/4. Pocket holes, Kreg screws and water resistant glue to join the wood.
The bottom piece will serve as a containment for water, just in case; will be properly sealed and/or maybe, just maybe, line it with 1/4" PVC sheet; I have some spare for the shallow walls but not enough to cover the 3x3 area; TAP Plastics is a short walk away.
I missed the days of walking to Ocean Treasures and TAP Plastics
I'll work on a canopy but that might take another couple years; in the mean time, the surplus plywood might be enough to start working on a stand for the Red Sea Reefer or a smaller cube that just screams to me for attention...

20180213_090607 (2).jpg

20180213_090620 (2).jpg

20180406_182458.jpg

20180406_153940.jpg

20180406_173420.jpg

20180405_184800.jpg

Oh didn't realize you had that with your old tank. Heck I don't even remember what you had for an old tank :D

(kind of the category I'm getting into unfortunately)

Well mentally I'm building everything :D
But realistically, I took on a larger than normal workload this semester so the time I have to do stuff is non-existent, however I told my boss I am not teaching summer school so will have time there. But ignoring the stuff that I can basically do right now if I had the time. The two biggest issues is removal of old debris (drywall, etc) which is basically either call a hauling company or rent a truck and take it to the dump at SSF which is only about half the cost as the SF dump. Once that is done, do all those "things I can do now" need to get done (running electrical under the floor, plumbing for sink & to water storage, etc... easy stuff :) , then get a truck again to get sheets of 3/4" plywood to lay down on the floor, then it's really a matter of throwing up drywall, painting/prep, then stand & tank. Although I could do the truck rental, then after I dump swing by the Lowes over there to get the plywood, so one trip really (although 3/4" plywood is heeeeeeeeavy)

But really the biggest hold up, other than time, is getting rid of old waste and things like an old weight bench and crap like that that are currently occupying the area that I would put plywood down on.

Stand upside down to show the increase in height; a 3/4" base will be added flush with the base to give a wee of extra eye level view of the tank.
Total height of the stand so far 34" 3/4 Inside height ~33" Enough to place equipment and have room to move in there.

20180407_140236.jpg

20180407_140314.jpg

20180407_140819.jpg

Recology for bulk pick up; you can always post the metal for free on craigslist for the people that do scrap metal recycling.

Well mentally I'm building everything :D
But realistically, I took on a larger than normal workload this semester so the time I have to do stuff is non-existent, however I told my boss I am not teaching summer school so will have time there. But ignoring the stuff that I can basically do right now if I had the time. The two biggest issues is removal of old debris (drywall, etc) which is basically either call a hauling company or rent a truck and take it to the dump at SSF which is only about half the cost as the SF dump. Once that is done, do all those "things I can do now" need to get done (running electrical under the floor, plumbing for sink & to water storage, etc... easy stuff :) , then get a truck again to get sheets of 3/4" plywood to lay down on the floor, then it's really a matter of throwing up drywall, painting/prep, then stand & tank. Although I could do the truck rental, then after I dump swing by the Lowes over there to get the plywood, so one trip really (although 3/4" plywood is heeeeeeeeavy)

But really the biggest hold up, other than time, is getting rid of old waste and things like an old weight bench and crap like that that are currently occupying the area that I would put plywood down on.

Mike, this is a very convenient thing to carry plywood, heavy 3/4" plywood

Almost done with the base, little change of plans on it; going to put a transition of 1/2" between the base and the stand; the base attached looks very plain but by adding a 1/2" strip all around, makes the stand more appealing to me instead of a massive square stool (elephant butt size). Just imagine the pictures upside down.
Done for today...

20180407_195221.jpg

20180407_195919_Burst01.jpg

20180407_200113.jpg

Looks great! Good idea with the transition to breakup the shape. Part of the reason I built the stand on my 40g was to get the 36” stand height too.

Back