Reef nutrition

Yet another cube, small cube thing in progress.

I thought about it, but I'm not a fan of super slow builds being documented so I didn't want to be hypocritical and do one of those, so I'll just post pictures when things are done (or at least very close to be done... i.e. I need help moving the tank into position). Plus didn't want to criticism of "it took you how long to lay the plywood subfloor? I know you're working by yourself but geeze!"

"here's the mud... now here's some mud that's still drying because I laid it on a bit too think in this area... click the youtube link for a video of the mud drying over a period of 24 hours, time lapsed of course so the video is only 24 minutes long" :D

Final coat done today as well as the top has been sprayed.
Tomorrow is the SF Marathon, not a good day for working on the doors.

I thought about it, but I'm not a fan of super slow builds being documented so I didn't want to be hypocritical and do one of those, so I'll just post pictures when things are done (or at least very close to be done... i.e. I need help moving the tank into position). Plus didn't want to criticism of "it took you how long to lay the plywood subfloor? I know you're working by yourself but geeze!"

"here's the mud... now here's some mud that's still drying because I laid it on a bit too think in this area... click the youtube link for a video of the mud drying over a period of 24 hours, time lapsed of course so the video is only 24 minutes long" :D

I guess writting up a book about a fish-room as progress happens might take a long time; take @ gimmito for example, I'm still waiting for the San Bruno Fish Store update
It's nuce to see the project from a concept, perhaps no blueprints but looking at couple of build threads, gives people ideas, like the bathroom @ jar; there's the bathroom, right there but you can't "see it"

Marathon is over; just stopped to check on the stand as workers from an above unit have been throwing garbage bags from a third floor.
I got a very cheap sprayer; a Wagner. I don't have a big compressor or at least one with a big tank for an HVLP gun so the Wagner did the job OK. Used Espresso from Minwax Polyshades from HD; it is on clearance at HD; I think the whole Minwax is being discontinued and replaced by a new vendor, Varathane? Also Purdy brushes are being replaced by Wooster brand. I'll be hunting HD's for that Minwax stuff as I need to complete the doors ASAP.

20180729_123003_HDR.jpg

Hd has had Varathane for a while, I think it is their in house brand. Too bad if they get rid of Minwax, I like that stuff better than the Varathane I find it makes the grain pop more

With the PVC liner in place. I had to run a bead of PVC glue all along the joints just to be on the safe side.
Still have to fasten top to the cabinet but will be after making sure sump and fuge fit in there.
Fuge is a cube tank, 18x18x18. Although there's plenty of acreage under the cabinet, sump and fuge leave very little space for other equipment.
...doors, doors, doors; next thing.

20180730_125955.jpg

No lip, tank should sit flush on it.
The wheels are just to move it around in the basement; would be nice to set it on wheels but is a lot of weight for those wheels; I must add that the corner where the tank will go is not level, have to shim it.
I’m kind of liking the no doors look of it or I just got too lazy...

That's a nice looking stand... been a big fan of no doors on stand. Open view into sump is nice in my opinion...especially if you keep stuff in your pump

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

put a curtain instead of door. Will keep the stand cooler too. I was thinking the weight would be too much on wheels too.

That's a nice looking stand... been a big fan of no doors on stand. Open view into sump is nice in my opinion...especially if you keep stuff in your pump

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I made a couple stands before without any doors for the sole purpose of showing the heart and lungs of the system.

put a curtain instead of door. Will keep the stand cooler too. I was thinking the weight would be too much on wheels too.

I looked into leveling feet, heavy duty ones but locally I could not find any. Casters would have been nice with a level floor.
I'm planning on having the SW mixing station on casters, RODI unit mounted on it as well but a future plan at the moment.

So what were the odds in Mario vs me as far as getting water in the tank? I'm just now painting the room :D

OMG, Start a poll? All bets on the table? Does spraying the tank with a water bottle count?

Just digging out old stuff; plumbing is going to take a while to figure it out. I like the way @anathema has the SeaSwirls on the return. I still have one of those Oceans Motions Squirt (I picked one from you like 10 years ago!!) for the return instead of the SS's.
Have to find the orientation for the return pump; either in front of the sump for easy access or if at the back, I will just go over it with PVC and leave a priming port instead of drilling the sump. In the mean time, a 1260 can take care of the return.

20180803_164218.jpg

Paint ain't drying fast enough!!! Well ok drywall primer, and the wall is just sucking it up.

I have a hella-good vent fan if you need it; is one of those used for grow operations, I have it plugged to a speed controller; I normally use it when I paint under humid conditions and helps a lot with the drying.

Servicing the external pumps; lots of calcium build up so going to leave them soaking in vinegar which by the way, Costco is the best place for vinegar so have to put it on the shopping list along with baking soda which I'll bake to make sodium carbonate.

Back