Cali Kid Corals

Yet another cube, small cube thing in progress.

Good call on removing the vermetids before they plague your system.

I actually added a couple of fish in the last week or so and one or both of them (same species) seems to be consuming the vermetids. I'm monitoring my rockwork for the vermetids to see if they are being consumed.

Here's one of the spot where there used to be a vermetid that was consumed (circled area).
2018_09_26_rrc_pink_cadillac_novermetid.jpg

Good call on removing the vermetids before they plague your system.

I actually added a couple of fish in the last week or so and one or both of them (same species) seems to be consuming the vermetids. I'm monitoring my rockwork for the vermetids to see if they are being consumed.

Here's one of the spot where there used to be a vermetid that was consumed (circled area).
2018_09_26_rrc_pink_cadillac_novermetid.jpg

Wow, that tiny of a snail you were able to spot? Guess their slime gives their location away hu?

Diatoms started to show on the rocks; monti shows polyp extension but doesn't show the red it did in the holding tank under T5's. Hermits like to hang on the monti; couple patches of algae for them to mow on.
The holding tank has a current leak; got shocked while having both my hands at the same time in both tanks; turns out an MJ running the small Remora skimmer has some leakage; ~48V according to the multi-meter.

Yeahboutthat... I recycled a lot of MJ's and chopped the power cord right at the motor so I would not change my mind and put them back in a bin. I know I saved a couple, just have to dig them out; in the mean time, I'll re-arrange few things; I'm able to walk again all the way to the back of the basement !!
I'm receiving my first DBTC today and will have my mind made about the CUC from the group buy that Arnold put up, I want hermits and snails; I know the snails might be yummy for the legged things, decisions, decisions...

Well, walked into the basement today at a very early hour; lights were on over the tank and that makes me believe the monti's shift in color might be due to lights being on 24/7... Played a bit more with the controller and seems I've corrected the issue. The timers I used in the past were very simple; time-on/time-off. The AI controller has 15 different timers so I just programmed one but overlooked the part of the off cycle/night time.
I received another fixture; I picked up a few pieces of rock for a small cube and the guy gave me a bunch of PVC fittings; 3/4" and 1/2" (I just recycled a bunch of them) among the freebies, he gave me a partially working Radion byt is not a Radion, is an AI Sol so I have a few spare parts just in case. I was trying to open the fixture to clean it and test the diodes with the multimeter but two of the hex cap screws are bonded well into the aluminum heatsink and I just stripped one of them. Tried penetrating oli, nada, WD40, nein, asking nicely, not a thing... Gonna try one of those miracle "drill it out kits" from HD. While at HD returning some surplus materials, I remember to check for SS screws; found them so I can swap the regular ones from the Sol units before they get stuck in there.

This afternoon I de-commissioned the holding bin that got my hands wet again in saltwater; I felt like I had to leave it running at least past the frag-swap. The good thing is that I have a small cube, scratched up and very noticeable but is more than good for a holding/QT tank. Used the same T5 fixture I had over the holding bin, oversized but does the job.
Cleaned the Remora skimmer and I know I have to replace that MJ1200 since is leaking current into the tank but have to dig the container out in order to grab a spare one and I ran out of time.
Another good thing happened; the bin that served as a base for the holding “tank”, had a few goodies that I completely forgot about; a dosser, couple double BRS carbon/GFO reactors. Have to check the contents still but at least I know for sure the BRS thing is there.

Last week while stopping to get some tools, noticed water in the PVC tray and outside the cabinet; first thought was water from the freezer since I set it to low, door was frozen shut.
It was quite a bit of water. Proceeded to dry the tray and noticed there was water all around the bottom plastic frame of the tank, my head told me it was a seam that gave up; immediately I told myself "that's it, I'm out..."
Frustrated a bit, used some towels to dry the tray and saw some drops of water falling on the right side of the cabinet and there were water marks dripping from the top of the plastic frame. Relief! The day before I set an autofeeder and the plastic bracket that fastens to the tank was barely at the waterline but a return nozzle was shooting water to the plastic bracket and water was pushed up and then dripped right on the glass.

Back