Neptune Aquatics

Yet another DC pump failure!

My Skimz Monster 203 skimmer is awesome. Or rather .. WAS awesome. It's DC pump, which sells for $240 is no longer functioning.

I belive the Skims 201 is the same skimmer body, but with an older AC pump, I'm trying to buy that pump (Skimz ES5000), but the only place that sells it is out of stock (BRS) and I really hope they are not discontinued!)

I've had it with these unreliable crappy pumps!! When my return pump failed and my fish died as a result, I chalked it up to having a "cheap" (If $100 is cheap) knock off DC pump, but this time the Skimz DC motor is supposed to be of decent quality, but If I can help it, I'm NOT going to replace it for $240 ... for that much I could probably buy some other entire skimmer!

I'm really disappointed by this unreliable technology. Maybe in 5-10 years they won't suck, but for now, I'm not going to buy any more of them.

V

For me, I care a lot about noise and my Vertex Omega 150 skimmer (AC pump) is just too much humming noise for me. So I myself will still use DC skimmer even knowing it may not last.

In the case of return pump, the trade off is much more critical. I still love my Reef Octopus 5500 DC pump, but I regret only drilled one return hole in my tank instead of 2. I could have used two cheap DC return pumps and not worry about one of them fail.

Sorry to hear that about your skimmer. But maybe contact the company directly, even if you did buy it used, just remove that little tidbit. While warranties do not typically transfer with sale, they really should, and you might get the company to send you a replacement.

That really sucks, been there, similar thing.
I second Mike (the Mike with the "sub-forum on the works) contact the company.

The skimz uses jebao pumps rebranded. Usually a bad power supply. See if you can put a red dragon in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or s RLSS waveline that has a better controller and power supply. The controller overheating out power supply failure is usually the cause of these DC pumps. I would swap the PS with a nice meanwell one shoulder do the trick.

Hmm, you think controller or power supply? When I turn it on, sometimes I can feel the pump WANT to turn, and maybe give a half hearted quarter turn then die.

I believe my dead DC return pump was a Jaebo. I will try mix-matching the pumps and controllers if they are compatible.

I'm assuming the DC pump itself is simply a stepper motor.

And the pump had "died" a few weeks ago, and I took it out, and cleaned it. When I plugged it in, it worked. THis time it didn't.

I'm wondering is stupid escaped biopellets may have jammed it and "burned" it out somehow, though I don't thing that can happen.

V

You can plug another PS into with same amp and volt usually 24v 4-6amp depending on size of pump. To see if it's there power supplies. If that don't turn swap controllers.

I have been really tempted to replace the power supply and controller that comes with those cheap Jaebo pumps.
One big high quality 24V supply.
Some nice FET motor drivers, perhaps controlled by Apex.
Some people on RC have already done that.
But who am I kidding, never enough time.

Back