got ethical husbandry?

Yet another lighting question topic - Kessil 350w's or radiums, opinions needed

So if im getting new lighting on my 48" 22 top dimension 100gal

Was thinking either two of the Kessil 350w's
or
two 250w radiums

If you were setting up a new tank and were going to have to get lighting, what would you do?
Which would you go with, personally?

im on the fence at the moment
Im running 8 ATI t5 bulbs and have not been happy with the results with color.

purely based on older LED/Radium experience. If I had a lot of SPS, I'd go radium, otherwise Kessil. My history with SPS and LED hasn't be the greatest, but YMMV.

heh, for a second I kept reading that as Kessil vs Radion... strangely enough that'd be a much easier choice since its basically the same technology just with different options & pricing.

Now Radiums vs Kessils... even though kessil fixtures are relatively new, I might just go with them simply because this is a new tank, so there won't really be a transitional period with adjustment except from where corals come from to where they go.

Now my experience with LEDs in general is the following

a) Softies love it, royal blues give you a very nice color pop.
b) Algae loves the spectrum as well, where as with halides not so much, and not the good I want to keep this type of algae :D
c) SPS corals kind of so so..

Fooled me I thought it was radions at first too...lol. If you are really looking for the best color out of your coral kessils for sure especially with the manual adjustment on the a350 you can really set the mood...haha. Something else to consider is heat transfer to the tank with the radiums and electricity costs.

Moving forward I'd debate as well however I was "receptive" to purchasing a 350 to experiment/play against my radiums but couldn't pull the trigger. I did however grab another A150W to hang over my 40g. Personally I'm in the longer photoperiod LED mode @less flux (A150W) with much shorter period of 250W radium. I'm doing that on both tanks and like it.

Back