Our mission

Your opinion on rock-work

Good or bad opinions and your suggestions! I would appreciate your feedback =) And sorry about the awful background, I'll clean that up one day.

Setup 1

Setup 2

Sitting on the stand of the new tank. Pretty much the way I want it to look like inside the tank with minor adjustments.

Doesn't look too bad.

One thing that immediately shoots out at me is the use of those tabling coral skeletons while that makes a nice large base to put corals, you have to realize under them they will be shadowed, so if you want stuff to grow under there you're most likely SOL.

However that being said I don't think there's one right way to do it, so if you like it, then it's good enough

Thanks everyone. So after a few drinks and watching Indy come back and beat New England, I went back into the garage with a clearer mind and did some rearranging of the left island. I flipped the coral skeleton upside down and noticed how it created a really nice cave. I'll snap some photos tomorrow and post.

sfsuphysics: I thought about that and might be able to grow really low light deep water coral if I add additional t5 strips and mount them on both sides of the canopy. If that doesn't workout well, it will end up being swim space for the fish. I Appreciate the heads up.

Jar: I purchased them from Bulk Reef Supply (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/) and I got really lucky because I called back immediately after I received the rocks about 4 days later and he was sold out. They pulled the shelf rock off their website and I haven't seen anything since 3 weeks ago. I wasn't expecting the coral skeletons but they look really nice and glad they came in the shipment.

Nice scaping! I liked the left island!

Just a quick note on those table skeletons - they prolly came from live harvested coral and not collected sustainably. Coral in that shape would quickly erode in the ocean and is almost, if not never, available because it doesn't really exist. Coral skeletons in good shape are a toss back to the days of dead coral displays and curios, and I would avoid them in the future. I could be wrong in this instance, but the trend is there.

Rich a lot of "shelf" rock comes like that. The newer stuff from BRS is Fiji IIRC. But yah, curio collecting sucks since they usually target MUCH larger stuff then we do.

Understood :) I've seen many like that in person and all I have seen were pretty darn old :) With out seeing it in person I can't say though.

Back