Z-Poxy or similar

Discussion in 'DIY' started by iCon, Sep 22, 2010.

1. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Where can I find it in the city?

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

tried any RC Hobby stores?

3. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Only one that came to mind was Franciscan across from Aquatic Central...But they're...Sold out!? The audacity!!! :D

4. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Tried so far:

HD
    Ace hw
    Cole hw
    Franciscan
    SF hobby

Any other places to try? My poor project keeps getting held up one thing after another :(

5. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Big RC hobby shop in Los Altos? San Antonio Road somewhere close to Sears but I haven't been there in 20+ years so not sure if it still exists.

6. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

There's an RC store in Daly City by In-N-Out. Might wanna give them a call.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/r-c-tech-daly-city

7. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Thanks - No luck there :

Franciscan 99% sure restocked tomorrow. One more day :( Thanks for the help

8. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Progress pics?

9. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

No pictures. Ended up creating a pretty nice shelf of egg crate and foam. Coated it with resin and covered it in sand. It looked really nice. The idea was to have that as a foundation and overlay it with LR. Of course, when it came to the tank move - It wasn't as easy as just throwing two big rocks on the platform to keep it down. Man...That foam is super buoyant... I wasn't really expecting that. Spent a few hours trying to get it to stay down but decided it was safer not to use it. Any slight movement of the rock work and I'd basically have a buoy shooting up to the top of my tank with enough force to break my light. It looked good, though. Pretty disappointing. Ok, very disappointing. I expected it to float a little but this was enough to keep someone alive at sea for days. Oh well. An expensive experimental project that didn't work out so well. Ended up using a plexi/pvc platform I had laying around. Not as cool as the other one but in the middle of a tank move...Worked out just fine. :)

Bottom line - Handi-Foam + z-poxy + sand works and looks good. I was surprised at how good it looked. Forgot who tried it on here before, but it is definitely a doable and interesting idea. If doing it again, I'd only use it in conjunction with dry rock/marco/etc. in the tank itself so there's no worries of it floating.

10. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

What about removing the foam? Cut underneath and expose the foam, remove it, and add something else?