Kessil

ZnP cleaning - Not so good experience...

I understand that part, gloves and goggles used, but I never heard that dipping them was dangerous until now...makes sense with the bubbles and all, but I haven't heard any suggestions about what not to do when dipping them? Ventilation seems obvious, just wondering if anyone has other ideas on what to do or not do?

As usual it depends on the situation, I've dipped many a Paly in H2O2 with out a problem. When you're fragging it is a different story as all of the mucoid goodness is floating around in the dip.

Con & Mario, I hope you are both OK; scary experience.

I remember a thread a couple of years ago about a hobbyist in southern Cal who decided to boil a couple of rocks to get rid of nuisance palys. His family got really sick from the airborne toxins.

99sf said:

I remember a thread a couple of years ago about a hobbyist in southern Cal who decided to boil a couple of rocks to get rid of nuisance palys. His family got really sick from the airborne toxins.

Numerous threads of people doing just that. A high profile reefing guru tossed a paly rock out into the snow in Nov. The next spring he found it and decided to boil it. There wasnt much palys on it anymore. He boiled it and got nailed by them, and IIRC his wife and dog did as well. Hes posted about it and told people about it at his talks all over the world.

99sf said:

Jeff had a thread on our forum describing the same thing, he almost nuked his family :O

Wasn't there a guy who rants and raves about peroxide for z/p? I mean, it definitely works...

That said, we had the door open and only had them in there for ~10 minutes until putting them back into saltwater and tossing the peroxide....

iCon said:
Wasn't there a guy who rants and raves about peroxide for z/p? I mean, it definitely works...

That said, we had the door open and only had them in there for ~10 minutes until putting them back into saltwater and tossing the peroxide....
Yes for nornal dipping but not for after fragging. Seems counter productive to oxidize the flrsh aroynd the wound, and a great way to atomize the palytoxin you released from them do to cutting them.

GreshamH said:
iCon said:

Yes for nornal dipping but not for after fragging. Seems counter productive to oxidize the flrsh aroynd the wound, and a great way to atomize the palytoxin you released from them do to cutting them.

Hmm... Didn't do any fragging. Soaked them for 10 minutes, brushed away algae, back into clean saltwater.

iCon said:

I'm one of many that "rants and raves" about peroxide for Palys, and has used Coral RX ;)

tuberider said:
iCon said:

I'm one of many that "rants and raves" about peroxide for Palys, and has used Coral RX ;)

Rants and raves in a video :)

And Gresham - Less of a chance but apparently plenty to make one sick...

So how do you go about peroxide and z/p? Gas mask? Fume hood? Outside?

Its not clear what harmed you... cant say its the palytoxin, the smell or something else.

Never had an issue using it on z and p. I never use it on any corals i just fragged though, and sounds like niether did you.

GreshamH said:
Its not clear what harmed you... cant say its the palytoxin, the smell or something else.

Never had an issue using it on z and p. I never use it on any corals i just fragged though, and sounds like niether did you.

Yeah - We were pretty cautious about everything. Oh well. At least I'm still kickin! Not sure about the swap... The thought of being surrounded by corals makes me nauseous. Still got the fever, pounding headache and shortness of breath but not as bad. What am I talking about not sure about the swap!? There's RN stuff to win! lol :D

Pansies haven't had a cup of zoa tea? BAH! :D

That said, palytoxin is pretty nasty stuff, something like 100ng (that's NANO-grams) per kilo is said to be enough to kill a person. But you have to look at the bigger picture and the individual parts as opposed to a whole human, 1 cell vs 1 nanogram of palytoxin is a lose-lose situation for that cell. So if you had cut zoas, then dipped them in peroxide, the open wounds would most likely fizz up, that could put palytoxins in the air, and if you're anywhere around breathing, you could have quite a few cells in your lungs be affected by them giving said symptoms.

sfsuphysics said:
Pansies haven't had a cup of zoa tea? BAH! :D

That said, palytoxin is pretty nasty stuff, something like 100ng (that's NANO-grams) per kilo is said to be enough to kill a person. But you have to look at the bigger picture and the individual parts as opposed to a whole human, 1 cell vs 1 nanogram of palytoxin is a lose-lose situation for that cell. So if you had cut zoas, then dipped them in peroxide, the open wounds would most likely fizz up, that could put palytoxins in the air, and if you're anywhere around breathing, you could have quite a few cells in your lungs be affected by them giving said symptoms.

Hmm... So considering there was no cutting up of z/p - Peroxide fizzes up and puts what into the air? Palytoxins would still be contained in animal, right?

Back