Our mission

Zoa and Paly naming

I'm just a bit confused and wanted some clarification. Do types of zoas and palys have names that everybody refers to them as or do people just make up names for them randomly? For example, if there was a purple paly with black tentacles and an orange center would somebody just call it a Halloween Paly? What I'm basically asking is if anybody can make up a name random name for their zoas or palys. :)

people have named some morphs, and people generally stick with the names, that they are commonly called. http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=15 That's a link to a site that is dedicated to keeping track of coral names. They have just branched into corals other than zoas, but they have a lot of morphs there.

People make up random names all the time to describe morphs. In fact, this is more common then not.

Bazooka Joe, Eddie's Purple Monster, Purple Deaths....these are not scientific names by any means ;)

..but that doesnt mean you should give something a new name that already has a known name ;)

If you don't know if this is the case, the best bet is to use a description:

a "Red skirt white body, blue mouth zoa" is more informative then a "4th of july extravaganza Zoa"

yea they are not scientific, but most of the community will go by those names, like Purple Death and Armor of God. People who don't subscribe to naming conventions usually just say I have a zoa of X Color. But when you're trying to sell your "LE" corals what seller wouldn't want a name that is recognizable and marketable?

I personally try not to fall prey to it, but they tend to be the most colorful corals :(

Back