got ethical husbandry?

Zoa ripped in half and still alive.

I guess you can call this Accidental Zoa Propagation? I unintentionally let this frag of zoas stay in one spot for too long and it started growing onto the rock. When I pulled the frag off the rock it ripped the zoa in half.

Here's a picture of it opened. I think it's going to pull through and reform its body soon. It's been 1 week already and he's still out. Will keep ya updated. The other half stuck on the rock is still alive too.

IMG_9937.jpg

BTW: If you're new here (like me), there are some very interesting propagation threads in the old pages of this propagation forum. People hacking up maxi carpet anemones, fungias, and what not. Check it out. I learned a lot.

Last edited:
Nice.. I've also come across a few posts of exactly the same situation where people accidentally tear up zoas and nuked their tank (everything dead by next morning).

Aint that the truth. Some zoas you can rip in half and theyll be fine. However I also feel like if you look at certain zoas funny, they start to melt.

Im gonna try growing electric oompa loompas again. My last frag slowly disintegrated.

as long as there is still a Zoa mat new polyps can sprout on it.

Some Z's and P's are like aiptasia, regardless if its gets shredded, rock flipped over on sand bed for weeks, dipped in FW and forgotten for over 1hr, or in a bucket of sw with no heater for a couple weeks, they've survived. Some are just tough as nails while some you just look at it an it melts.

Yep, I've got a red people eater that's been ripped in half, dropped more times then I can count and superglued shut (first time using superglue).... Somehow it's survived.... The poor thing, it's been through way too much but finally looking really happy.

Back