got ethical husbandry?

Zoas disappearing

Roc

So I have not seen this before but I got a mini colony about a month ago, when I 1st brought it home it looked like this

120galcorals7-8-08016.jpg

Today they look like this

Corals7-19-08021.jpg

what could be eating them?

Fish in tank

Blue hippo tang
Yellow tang
royal gamma
2 flase perc's
yellow tailed damsel

How long between the 2 pics? I'm sad to say I've had.... many zoas slowly dissolve/disappear. I actually managed to get 4 superman zoas and I'm already down to 3 (well practically 2.5) :( I'm going to try some coral dips to try and jazz them up a bit. Some say it could be water parms, toxic warfare, protein/nutrient levels or unknown habitat variations.

Wild pieces seem to die back pretty easily. I think that is just how they are. It might have something to do with poor nutrient levels (low nutrients) which is good for everything else but zoas and yumas.

It looks like it could be one of the two common zoa problems, both of which I was able to beat.
1. Zoa Pox: The piece on the left looks like it MAY have pox, but I'm not sure. This can be cured with Furan2 dips.
2. More likely this is another kind of fungus. I was somewhat aggressive, due to impatience and combined an iodine dip along with a hydrogen peroxide dip, followed by two days of furan2 dips.
The iodine dip you just make a little stronger than usual.
The peroxide dip you slowly add peroxide to a container holding the zoas until you see bubbles coming off the skin.
Furan2 instructions can be found here: (works for other fungus besides pox)
http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

I wouldn't give up. You can still win!

I had great success recovering "melting" zoas by dosing ascorbic acid (vitamin C). It has been shown to reduce oxidative stress in corals and also to stimulate collagen production. There is a long thread on in the Zoanthid section on RC with this discussion. Is it just this colony showing this distress? I would worry about those white, lumpy growths at the base of the polyp, suggests pox or fungus as mentioned before.

Cheers,

Josh

Roc, you going to the swap in August? I have some extra pink zoos I can bring to replace your loss. Sorry you couldn't save them.

I am going to show up, but I won't be able to stay for the whole thing, I would love some if you got em though, I have an underground train of Mr ugly to Bookfish to be able to get things I can't grab myself, they are the best handlers :)

I'll pull some off the colony and put them on a plug when I get home this weekend. If you don't make it, I'll give them to your reef coyotes. ;D

Are you lacking zoos? If so, I'll pull off a few different colors. Can't spare too much since I just did a cleaning and I'm prepping for the swap BUT I can pull off at least a sampling for you.

I am going to show up as early to the swap as possible becuase I don't want to disture ppl who are trying to go and pick and I really can't stay long but I will be there at least for a little while.

[quote author=hiepatitis link=topic=4138.msg50020#msg50020 date=1217022759]
Hey Seamus,

Have you tried to look for any parasites. Nudis and Sundial snails can be hard to see.
[/quote]

Thing is this.

I have at least 10 other colonies of zoas and they have all been in the tank for awhile and have done nothing but grow and florish, i added these recently and they started to disapear right away. i know someone who got more of this colony I will ask him if they are still alive but I think it was a fungas

Back