Bay Area Reefers 2013 Regional Frag Swap
We are pleased to announce the return of the BAR regional frag swap! This event is intended to encourage the propagation, sharing, and 'backing up' of corals throughout the reefing community. The frag swap is a great way to promote the spirit of generosity in support of the hobby and all its participants.
The swap is open to everyone. Meet and hang out with your fellow hobbyists. Share and enjoy the diversity of corals being successfully grown by your fellow reefers. Learn more about how to care for the corals you pick and the corals you currently have.
Never been to a swap before or don't have frags to swap yet?
No problem! We have a welcoming committee that will be on site to help, and a newbie table where you can select a few organisms to populate your tank and ease your way into the hobby. Come see how the frag swap works and be ready for the next swap!
How the swap works
• Corals entered into the swap will be placed on tables within a family of corals.
Categories: Zoas, Soft corals, LPS, & SPS (sub-divided into Sticks, Plates, Others)
• You will receive a name tag and draw a pick group letter
• Pick group letters are called in this order: A, B, C, D, ..., Z, Z, ..., D, C, B, A, A, ...
• During the first round of picking you will have a few minutes to select one coral
• As the swap progresses through the pick groups, successive rounds will be shorter and you will be able to select multiple corals
"How do I participate?"
$10 - BAR Members
$15 - Member of an eligible reef club (CRC, CVR, FRAG, NVR, MARS, & WCR)
$20 - Non-members
$25 - Late registration (beginning March 6th)
$30 - On-site door registration
LATE REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE REGISTER ON-SITE AT THE SWAP. SEE YOU THERE!!!
• The swap will be held on Saturday March 9th, Chabot College, room 722.
• Chabot College charges $2 for parking. Please support our venue and purchase a daily parking permit from one of the machines in the parking lots.
• Swap registration is 11:00-12:30, late arrivals are automatically placed into the final pick group .
• The swap begins at 1:00pm firm.
• We ask that you package your corals in deli containers similar to these, or other sealable containers. Corals in ziplock bags are not allowed. Typically a good place to find deli containers is your local Smart & Final. Not only do the containers allow you to see the corals better, they reduce the risk of leaks and spills that can potentially irritate our hosts at Chabot. If you show up with substandard packing you will be required to purchase deli containers and repackage and label your corals. There are some handy frag packing tips in this thread, please feel free to add any suggestions or ask questions in advance of the swap.
• All containers shall be labeled with the coral type, your name/internet handle, and growing conditions (height in tank, flow, lighting, etc.). This is to allow the recipient of your frag to reproduce your growing conditions as much as possible. If the containers are not labeled you will be required to label them on the spot. Please see this thread (post #23) for convenient pre-made Avery labels .
• Any corals determined to be in poor condition or freshly fragged will not qualify you for the swap, it is against our mission to reward poor propagation techniques.
• A raffle will be held with prizes from various BAR sponsors. Raffle tickets will be on sale at the event.
• Raffle numbers will be posted as they are called, please keep an eye on the projector to ensure you claim your prizes.
• Ineligible corals, invertebrates, macroalgaes, equipment, supplies, etc., will be placed at the newbie table and made available to all swap attendees.
Please treat all corals that you pick at the swap as if they are infected with the worst pests known to man. Dip your corals with the coral dip provided for free at the swap or your own preferred coral dip. Not only does dipping help to prevent pests from making their way into your tank, it could potentially prevent the spread of nuisance algae as well as keeping the instances of necrosis to a minimum.
These organisms do not qualify for entrance into the swap.
Directions to Chabot College
Google Map of Chabot College Location