Kessil

Ashburn’s not so frugal 90g

New frag rack in frag tank, hopefully this time I don’t have to deal with gha like last time
442c33829f192f3e94695ef981408e3a.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Even clean starfire glass blocks quite a lot of light.

I found that to be the case with my set up. When I checked with the par meter I was losing about 20%. My glass is 1/2" tempered starphire glass so you'll likely get better par since yours looks to be 1/4" but I'm not sure if you got the starphire glass. I expected there to be some loss but I didn't think it would be 20%. I still only run them at 55% at peak so I have plenty of room to still go up.

I also raised mine off the glass by about 1/8" to allow for some airflow around them. The glass does get warm but never so much that I can't touch it.
IMG_4564.JPG

So I was trying to clean the calcium buildup in my DT with vinegar, this is not helping at all :/

a30e760cbe881d8d17dfe23b41b1d6e2.jpg

If the glass is dry, this is what I will be seeing, after cleaning that area for good 30 mins with vinegar stained cloth and sponge, I gave up. Anyone have other ideas how to get it cleaned?

Was tank left dry and dirty for a long time? I've seen tanks that were filling and left to evaporate until empty have weird "etching" from hard water stains or something like that. Seems like whatvmay have happened here. I think it's not gonna be easy to do, or realistic in this case with the tank set up, but you can buff it out with like a power tool for waxing cars and the right wheel on it maybe. @denzil has some experience in this matter I believe.

It's extremely difficult to identify by picture of what the exact issue is. Was it absolutely clear prior to using vinegar? What brand is your display tank? Vinegar alone shouldn't cause haziness in the glass.

It was like that before I apply the vinegar. And the tank was never clear, always look hazy after water is filled.

It's extremely difficult to identify by picture of what the exact issue is. Was it absolutely clear prior to using vinegar? What brand is your display tank? Vinegar alone shouldn't cause haziness in the glass.

I think the only way to deal with that issue on the glass would require the tank to be empty and polish the glass; I was doing the polishing on a rimless cube and man is a lot of effort and elbow grease required. Also and very important, polishing glass can post a serious health hazard; you'd need a respirator. Glass dust is like asbestos, yup, that bad.
That particular spot seems like it was done with abrasive stuff.
It would be easier to swap the tank for another 90 than dealing with the glass

So I finally got fed up with the aiptasia brothel, coral eating nudi alley rock, and frag the hell out of everything, now tossed it out in the drive way to get baked before I can repurpose it.

in another updates:
new mp40 pump in place, pp20 is the backup pump if anything fails.
new sebae clown from @enaldy, and he looks so identical to the clarkiis that I got from @RandyC. He was in the DT for first day and after the big maroon tried to kill him, i had to move him to the frag tank.
new damsel fishs from @DEATH BY SNU SNU

for now, coming back for pictures and other new additions to the tanks

FTS of the day
52ddb905071fbcb4ea660f2e357d69d7.heic

Doser in place
f0a9da6a5b91285be70e69235b6e3ada.jpg

My frugal tube holders
9b7781273dbc828ca08f2294f534a7df.jpg

Last edited:
So I finally got fed up with the aiptasia brothel, coral eating nudi alley rock, and frag the hell out of everything, now tossed it out in the drive way to get baked before I can repurpose it.

in another updates:
new mp40 pump in place, pp20 is the backup pump if anything fails.
new sebae clown from @enaldy, and he looks so identical to the clarkiis that I got from @RandyC. He was in the DT for first day and after the big maroon tried to kill him, i had to move him to the frag tank.
new damsel fishs from @DEATH BY SNU SNU

for now, coming back for pictures and other new additions to the tanks
Nice.. just watch out the biting thing lol... He's like a teenager: Doesn't like anybody lol.

i made a routine with him so everytime when my hand needs to be in the tank, i would first show my hand to him first, and do a finger pointing thing at him. he didnt bite me then after.

Finally the GBTA has fully recovered and moved to DT, and this pair took no time to host in it.

b349e9c7a4f401d57697ed532fc049f6.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back