Kessil

Ashburn's 187g endgame II

After finding out custom arcylic frag racks were way out of my budget, I decided to print my own and cost was way cheaper, it just take some time.
E34B0F4F-A63D-48C3-94F4-2F484A89CE2E.jpeg

6D2A998E-5DC1-4E7B-BB69-C1948B3E94FA.jpeg

Yeah I’m trying to see if I can get the print surface to leave some holes so water can go in, but it’s heavy enough with a few frags will be able to sink it to the bottom

So how much does a piece of quarter inch acrylic cost, versus the filament that it takes to print all that?

Or were you comparing to someone else making said frag racks?

So how much does a piece of quarter inch acrylic cost, versus the filament that it takes to print all that?

Or were you comparing to someone else making said frag racks?
I don’t have the tool to make neatly cut holes for acrylic. And quoted frag rack is quiet expensive to cover all my frag tanks. And getting a cnc machine is way out of my budget.

Filament is usually about $20 for a kg spool
So I'm guessing that is less than a kg worth of filament, but doesn't seem to be that great of a cost savings.

I don’t have the tool to make neatly cut holes for acrylic. And quoted frag rack is quiet expensive to cover all my frag tanks. And getting a cnc machine is way out of my budget.
No one in the club has a CNC? Some things that come to mind, hole saw, forstner bit (go slow though), or you could just use a hand held router with a jig to pop out little holes. Or yeah sure, melt plastic into a flat sheet :D

Yes, that can be a pain.
A forstner bit in a drill press works well, if you go nice and slow. But expect to dull your bit fast.

drill press wont give me a nice neat formation, and it's messy too. also not to mention the burnt fumes.
Ruler + a spritz of water.
But if I had a 3D printer, I would probably use it also ... just because it is there.

---

Suggestion:
I bought a nice frag rag somewhere that has a rubber gasket in each hole, that nicely holds the frag. See below.
I wonder if you could 3D print a thin piece of plastic that sticks out, kindof in an X pattern, to do the same.
It is really handy not having frags go flying if there is a bit of current or you bump them.

IMG_0626.jpg

But if I had a 3D printer, I would probably use it also ... just because it is there.

---

Suggestion:
I bought a nice frag rag somewhere that has a rubber gasket in each hole, that nicely holds the frag. See below.
I wonder if you could 3D print a thin piece of plastic that sticks out, kindof in an X pattern, to do the same.
It is really handy not having frags go flying if there is a bit of current or you bump them.

View attachment 25418

Not exactly what you want, but you could probably print the arms a little shorter to fit plugs.

---

Suggestion:

View attachment 25418
I made holes smaller, and plugs doesn’t come out regardless the current

have you tried those? Seems like an interesting way to mount softies, I’d think it might still slime out
Basically $1.30 to mount a frag... seems kind of pricey. Also wonder if it'll behave like a tree with a clamp on it, and just grow around it, effectively chopping it down in size.

drill press wont give me a nice neat formation, and it's messy too. also not to mention the burnt fumes.
This, the acrylic heats a lot and melts as you drill it and releases nasty fumes, and you have to go slowly or it melts too much. It’s something I might tell my restless kid to go outside and drill 40 holes in a piece of acrylic except I’d worry about the fumes and the holes would not be straight. Tap plastics charges too much to drill holes though.

The buoyancy of the 3D print material would make a better mushroom/nem box though right?

Now that someone brought up the frag gripper product I guess you could make the same design integrated into the 3D printed frag rack.
CE634C97-D31F-489D-8301-8C6C8B1AA59F.jpeg

This, the acrylic heats a lot and melts as you drill it and releases nasty fumes, and you have to go slowly or it melts too much. It’s something I might tell my restless kid to go outside and drill 40 holes in a piece of acrylic except I’d worry about the fumes and the holes would not be straight. Tap plastics charges too much to drill holes though.

The buoyancy of the 3D print material would make a better mushroom/nem box though right?
Yes, better off as shroom box. But with some holes punched here and there, it’s sinking for sure and a few frags will just weight it down. I will design and make sure the infill is interjected so one hole will let water fill in the empty space inside. But so far so good.

Back