Jestersix

plumbing a frag tank to display sump ?

I think it kind of depends on what you want to do? If you want the frag tank to be quarantined have a separate sump, if you aren't worried about it or have a quarantine tank, use the same sump?

I think ideally it'd have a dedicated sump. It'll make life a lot easier if you have to treat for pests, plus you'd need less chemicals (if you choose) since your overall water volume wouldn't include the display tank. It'll also be good for QTing new frags / fish before adding them to the DT, or in-case of emergencies (kalk OD) where you'd need to move your corals.

probably a dedicated sump is best for QT and such, but I plumbed my frag tank to the display sump to make it easier for water top off and water changes.

I agree... with it depends what you want to do.

IMO you can have both, plumb it into your main system with some valves such that you can grow frags out in there if you want to sell/trade, then if you get new frags you want to QT you can turn a valve and keep the water separate (I don't think you need a sump for a frag tank myself... simply keep the water topped off and you're fine)

You guys bring up some good points.

The pros of a separate sump seem to out way the cons. I do like being able to qt new frags and possibly fish separately.

If you guys have any input regarding skimmers let me know,

Jim

p.s.

Do you guys have pic's of your frag
setups ?

I run mine inline with my display, IME fags grow and are much healthier when the parameters are stable, plus if you want to shuffle corals around there's no acclimation needed.

AFA a QT, I think it's best to have a dedicated QT. I ran the frag tank/QT method for quite awhile until I saw an AEFW and wound up having to throw all of my frags out, I was very disappointed at all of the wasted effort of growing the frags out.

sfsuphysics said:
I agree... with it depends what you want to do.

IMO you can have both, plumb it into your main system with some valves such that you can grow frags out in there if you want to sell/trade, then if you get new frags you want to QT you can turn a valve and keep the water separate (I don't think you need a sump for a frag tank myself... simply keep the water topped off and you're fine)

That sounds very familiar.

I agree that a frag tank is going to benefit way more by being plumbed into your main system for stability and overall ease (less chance for neglect). I have the ability to take my frag tank off line but a QT and a frag tank should really not be combined anyway IMHO.

Back