Cali Kid Corals

Tanked - New TV series

Hell we couldn't afford them now anyways, they're celebrities... and I don't mean the fake celebs like your Anthony Calfos but actual celebs in the real world! :D

Mebbie if we give them a free booth space at BAYMAC they'd come?

Seriously, I'd like to have them up to speak to the club. I'm sure we could all benefit from their revolutionary methods for no cycle tanks and ginormous bioloads.

-Gregory

GDawson said:
Mebbie if we give them a free booth space at BAYMAC they'd come?

Seriously, I'd like to have them up to speak to the club. I'm sure we could all benefit from their revolutionary methods for no cycle tanks and ginormous bioloads.

-Gregory

Not to mention a fool proof way of preventing parasite outbreaks in tanks with way too many tangs thrown in at the same time.

tuberider said:
They went to ERI to buy 6,000 fish for the stupid phone booth tank and Justin showed them around.

That was a pretty amazing place Justin has going on there. While watching that episode, I thought to myself, I bet Jeremy knows that person.... But I agree that phone booth seemed way overstocked. While imaginative and entertaining, the show may be sending the wrong message. Hopefully, the show will turn a corner.

Reef Keeper said:
... the show may be sending the wrong message.

Agreed. I picture the whole Nemo effect all over again but on a hopefully smaller scale. People new to aquariums, saltwater specifically, or those getting into the hobby because of this show will undoubtedly walk away with the wrong message.

In their defense, however, we don't know what truly goes on behind the scenes. Maybe they have filters set up and cycling all the time so they can plug-n-play set-ups like this. Judging from the rest of the content in the show (tap water, ice cubes, etc.) I seriously don't think that's the case. The show is meant for entertainment purposes and not meant to be educational and unfortunately that line gets blurred all too easy. What it really boils down to is producers showing what they think is good for ratings without much, if any, thought for the hobby.

That said I do find the show mildly amusing and will probably watch a few more episodes and contribute to those ratings before I get bored with it :)

~Charlie

Yeah, Phong that was the Discovery channel of long ago. Granted they still do have some shows that are educational to a degree. But the reality is "reality" sells.

I have not been able to see the episodes but based on other reality TV shows I doubt this is going to end well for the reefing hobby; the last thing we need is the suggested coral ban gaining strength again. I wonder how long it is going to be till the tang police show up on an episode. :D

nudibranch said:
I have not been able to see the episodes but based on other reality TV shows I doubt this is going to end well for the reefing hobby; the last thing we need is the suggested coral ban gaining strength again. I wonder how long it is going to be till the tang police show up on an episode. :D

They're on the scene

tangpoliceGIF.gif

Oh, StevieT and his tang police. :p

I would be worried about a ban on coral gaining strength, but they use "coral inserts" in the show. Plastic rocks with pieces of fake coral taped to them basically.

I do enjoy seeing the big big tanks. Like when they are talking to the camera they are in front of a really large tank with big unicorn tangs in it. Their show makes me envy the huge tanks. I would go low light corals or a planted tank though. Newest episode was definitely a tang police episode.

It bothers me when they torture the fish. In the intro, they are holding a puffer out of the water. In the first episode, the mental one sticks his hands in and presses them against both sides of a puffer, then exclaims that it feels like rubber. In one of the episodes, they lift a tang (I think it was a tang, can't recall) out with their bare hands. Then what really ticked me off, is the mental one (or the other mental one, can't tell their stupidity apart) lifts a PVC tube of 10 small eels out of the water and holds them there for a few seconds while he talks about how cool they are. THEN, he turns the pipe upside down and dumps them into the water.

Their expertise is building tanks, definitely
not stocking them or maintaining them.

Just looking at the pictures on their front page says enough:
http://acrylicaquariums.com/2010/palms3.jpg
http://acrylicaquariums.com/2010/girl2.jpg
Apparently they did some of the panes at Steinhart though (at leas they have pictures of tanks on their website) so that's kinda cool.

Joost_ said:
Apparently they did some of the panes at Steinhart though (at leas they have pictures of tanks on their website) so that's kinda cool.

They have a picture of the main window of the big tank on their site, but they did not make that window. Reynolds polymer did.

Thales said:
Joost_ said:

They have a picture of the main window of the big tank on their site, but they did not make that window. Reynolds polymer did.

So are they going to pay you guys for using your image for their advertising? Or make a substantial donation?

-Gregory

Euphyllia said:
It bothers me when they torture the fish. In the intro, they are holding a puffer out of the water. In the first episode, the mental one sticks his hands in and presses them against both sides of a puffer, then exclaims that it feels like rubber. In one of the episodes, they lift a tang (I think it was a tang, can't recall) out with their bare hands. Then what really ticked me off, is the mental one (or the other mental one, can't tell their stupidity apart) lifts a PVC tube of 10 small eels out of the water and holds them there for a few seconds while he talks about how cool they are. THEN, he turns the pipe upside down and dumps them into the water.

Their expertise is building tanks, definitely
not stocking them or maintaining them.

Eels are just fine being handled like that, that shouldn't ruffle your feathers.

Back