Kessil

Neptune Aquatics 435G SPS Display Tank Build

hehe...yeah...it's a little huge. We're going to be loading the tank with lots of anthias so hence the extra heavy duty size.

Aha! stand is ALMOST ready....

Lots of doors to stain....
IMG_2293.jpg

The interior of the stand will be painted white....
IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

The finished cabinet is amazing! Stained and painted.....

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

While I am waiting for the refugium to be completed, the cabinet also works great as a Ben's dog house! haha
IMG_2469.jpg

And here I thought this tank was to teach Ben to retrieve. Its just a reefers dog's house. You must get sent there a lot more than me to build it so nice. ;)

Not whole lot of progress today. Other than getting the false canopy hung, we received more goodies for the tank....

We will be using about 60 lbs EcoSystem's Miracle Mud in the refugium to help aid with constantly supplying the system with major/minor trace elements. We have never use it before so I guess this would be a good way to try.
IMG_2571.jpg

Vertex UF-20 reactor for GFO....
IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

"Superstrut" bars mounted on the ceiling for hanging the false canopy...
IMG_2485.jpg

I used 5 1/2" turn buckle for fine leveling of the canopy...
IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

It's like Christmas at Neptunes today. Here's Robert with his new toys.

Man! Everything on your tank looks awesome! Top notch! Can't wait to see it up and running.

48b31693.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic Ed! It was indeed X-mas for me today. I think it was for you too....lol.

Gen (of Kritter Products) did an amazing job with this refugium. I know working with white acrylic is somewhat difficult when it comes to seaming a water tight fit but he did it perfectly! I couldn't be any happier.

Lots of love for this company!
IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

For size reference, here's Ed (DrDooLittle) with the refugium....
IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

Leak testing...
IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

Another shout-out for Kritter Products...
IMG_2620.jpg

Starting tomorrow, the real fun will begin!

I know, it was a like a birthday and christmas for me yesterday.. :bigsmile: .. thanks for the hook up Robert!

you had time to water test the sump after i left? man.. you really want this up and running fast..haha

You may want to do THIS:

CROSS+BRACING.jpg

To avoid THIS:

Fig6_SoftStory.jpg

THINK OF YOUR TANK AS IF IT WAS THIS BUILDING.
THINK OF YOUR STAND AS A BUNCH OF GARAGE DOORS.
You seem to have no shear strength built in to your stand.
At over 2 tons you might consider protecting you investment not to mention your liability.

Thanks for posting that cool brace and Thanks a bunch for your input. It looks like it can provide great lateral strength enhancement. Unfortunately, if I use it, I'll have to use it in both the X and Y axis in order to make the whole idea work and that is something I don't think I have the option to do at this point. Beside, this stand was built by Chris and he have done many large stands of this size with great track record so far. I also have a structural engineer to analyze the stand for it's ability to handle lateral force shift and he did said the center of gravity of th entire system is not tall enough to be critical. He said that there are way lots more structures in my shop that I need to worry about and not this stand in serious event...lol.

OK... How many of his stands made it through the 1989 quake?
Good luck and awesome build!
I cant wait to see it in person.

Back