High Tide Aquatics

Tanked - New TV series

Thales said:
312843_10150766119080587_600360586_20544395_4244652_n.jpg
OMG I just have to have those!!!! :D

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/tanked-tv-series/68999-just-got-off-phone-brett-tanked.html

Interesting to hear, but knowing R2R, not fully convinced just yet.

We have been talking with Brett and working with them since before the show aired it's first episode. Tonight I just got fed up with the info people have been posting on FB and various forums about how bad they hurting the hobby and not caring for the fish.
Well of course he's fed up, he wants on that gravy train too, he even says so right here in that he's been working with them. In the professional world (any profession :D) we call this bias ;)

I had doubts about them actually putting a tank up in 1 night, adding water, and fish all at once and that it did have some level of editing floor trickery.... however there still was that one scene where the water was too hot, so they dumped ice in, if the water was too hot and they don't put the fish in one night, why would they need to drop in ice? This wasn't someones home tank, this was a publicly displayed tank where they needed (and probably demanded) that instant gratification. Not to mention, can't really blame the editing room on how he molests the fish at Justin's :D

That said, I still watch the show, if anything just to see the big or unusual tanks they make.

It doesn't matter what they actually do, it matters what they are shown doing. That the show appears to show them doing crappy things is the problem because no one will ever see what they do in reality.

Thales said:
It doesn't matter what they actually do, it matters what they are shown doing. That the show appears to show them doing crappy things is the problem because no one will ever see what they do in reality.
This is an excellent point.

This is seeing a person get chopped up in a woodchipper, skinned alive, then fed his own entrails... sure that might all be editing room magic and wasn't what REALLY happened, however you probably don't want to let your kids see it because they might not know the difference. The "kids" in this case being the majority of people who watch the show as they will think what happens on the show is what is happening.

I just feel bad for the maintenance guys who have to take care of the tanks long after the cameras go away. These guys are clearly under some pressure to make the tanks look spectacular for the show (meaning more fish and bigger fish) which does not necessarily translate to long term viability of the fish population.

Just second hand stuff - but apparently, the 'colony' is bacteria and is supposed to make cycling a thing of the past. Oy vey.

The ATM guys are instant gurus because they are on tv. A little scary. I mean, possibly about building, but chemistry and husbandry? There is no reason to think they are 'expert' at that.

Colony: Want that frag to turn into a colony in no time? Just add 1 tsp a day
Mirage: Want more fish, but not the cost of buying them? Just add 1 tsp a day
Barrier: Fish fighting a little too much for your liking? Just add 1 tsp a day
Outbreak: Have an outbreak of aiptasia, red bugs, AEFW or any other pest? Just add 1 tsp a day
Paradigm: Want that instant biotope with no effort? Just add 1 tsp a day

*Note ATM products do not make any promises to do anything to your tank, the claims are not claims but more of rhetorical questions, any similarity between adding our products and orange juice to your tank are coincidental.

tuberider said:
I dunno, a product called "Outbreak" sounds kinda promising...

Dude I'd rock that one... I'm also kicking myself for not coming up with these names myself. Freaking pure genius.

I used their products in a garbage can tank install I did a while back, all I can say is the sharks are happy, and the corals really look great too.

http://marinegeek.com/bb/content.php?145-Brett-Raymer-from-Tanked-will-be-attending-Macna-2011-with-marinegeek.com&s=e3c634392b15b0f7db4e27f4319b041f

I think we are going to have a hard time differentiating between the idea that what the reality is is almost irrelevant, its what the edited perception is that is at issue.

Back