got ethical husbandry?

90 Gallon Mixed Reef

177ike said:
Installed Eheim 1262 to replace my Ocean Runner 3500 return pump.

Bubble King Mini 180 on the way to replace my Reef Octopus NWB-150.. Will post up some pics when I get it if people are interested.

Was the Reef Octopus not enough? I'm considering either the Reef Octopus 150 or the XS-200. The 150 is about $120 cheaper, so i would like to get that, but if its not an good option I will go for the XS-200

Wow, I just looked back at some of those pictures I took of my tank a little while back and things have really started growing. I need to start taking more pictures of my tank so I can better gauge my growth!! In fact, I'll go take some pics now and post some up in the coming days. For now, here are some pictures of my DIY LED build. The LEDs have only been on my tank for a few weeks. yet it seems like I'm getting increased growth rate and better color on certain coral pieces. Enjoy.

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

PeteBoxes said:
177ike said:
Installed Eheim 1262 to replace my Ocean Runner 3500 return pump.

Bubble King Mini 180 on the way to replace my Reef Octopus NWB-150.. Will post up some pics when I get it if people are interested.

Was the Reef Octopus not enough? I'm considering either the Reef Octopus 150 or the XS-200. The 150 is about $120 cheaper, so i would like to get that, but if its not an good option I will go for the XS-200

The Reef Octopus NWB-150 doesn't even compare to the Bubble King Mini 180.. It's all about the custom Askoll pumps and overall build quality of the BBK. For me, the name of the game is longevity (talking years), as my tank is the centerpiece in my home. As others have mentioned, it's really hard to understand what the BBK delivers unless you've used other skimmers for long periods of time and then install a BK and use it for a while. Since a balanced state of nutrients/bacteria changes with various inputs and exports, it's hard to say if one skimmer is not enough for a given setup. I do know the BK mini 180 allows me to increase nutrient levels in my tank, while at the same time allowing for good water quality. BK's skim like beasts.

If I were looking for a skimmer in the price range you're seeking, I'd look into the Bubble Blaster equipped Reef Octos. I have no personal experience with them, but they are knockoffs of the Askoll design and have received decent reviews.

It's been a while since I've updated my tank thread. I've since added DIY LEDs to my tank with independent blue/white dimming control via my Apex 0-10v ports. Love the lights and my corals color and growth have picked up noticeably. I'll post up some pics and update soon.

I just removed the Neon Green Tips from my tank and probably have something like eight small Neon Green Tip Anemones. I took the advice of others and did a little slicing. The good is that I now have many small Neon Green Tips, perfect size for a Biocube or similar tank. The bad is that I now have a pair of Maroon clowns I no longer want in my tank. Any ideas how to get them out?

Mike

The little young male might be naive enough for the net technique, but the old female is way too wise for that. She will go and hide underneath my monti cap at first site of the net outside my tank. Its all good for now since the maroons seem to find safety near the rock work where the nem used to be. I may try to put one of my small healed nems into a fish trap to lure the clowns in. If that doesnt work, they're staying!

Ive since transferred my anemone clones to my main tank in a tupperware container hanging on the side glass. Three are doing well and one is probable. I was a little too aggressive with my slicing and the remainder of cuttings became lumps of flesh... I'll be letting the nems heal for a couple weeks and put one into the DBTC if anyone is interested. Ive already opened a DBTC thread for the nem.

Mike,

How did I miss this build ?? Great job ! I love the woodwork and of course the Bubble King skimmer. You can always try a clear Tupperware when feeding the clowns by putting food in it and scooping them up (may take a few times for them to get use to it).

gimmito said:
Mike,

How did I miss this build ?? Great job ! I love the woodwork and of course the Bubble King skimmer. You can always try a clear Tupperware when feeding the clowns by putting food in it and scooping them up (may take a few times for them to get use to it).

I'll give the clear Tupperware a go. Looks like the dorsal fin of the big momma maroon is torn.. I'll probably need to get them out soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

I originally cut my Neon Green Tip Anemone into 9 pieces, fired up my 10 gallon holding/emergency tank, and plunked in the clones. Biting off of what Patrick did with his anemone prop tank, I threw some leftover PVC pieces in as well.

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

After a day or so, I noticed the clones not doing so well. They were closing up and not extending their tentacles like a happy nem. I figured the water quality wasn't cutting it in the newly fired up 10 gallon and moved them back into my main display using a breeding container. Of the 9 cuttings, 6 pieces didn't make it. Today I noticed that one of the clones split again so I now have 4 healthy and healing clones.

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

Some recent shots of the tank. Lighting is DIY LED - Cree 3 watt. The tank is just waking up with just the Blue/Royal Blues at about 40% power.

IMG_1475.jpg

I got rid of my Neon Green Tip Magnifica and put a BTA in my tank to replace it. The Maroons are anxiously waiting for the BTA to grow large enough for the pair to share. For now, they have to take turns..
IMG_1480.jpg

Just some more shots of the tank under my new LED lighting. Corals and everything else in the tank seem to love the switch from T5 to LEDs.

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

ATO reservoir being replenished in the evening when Blue LEDs are dimming down. The reservoir has a float valve attached to the RO/DI line-in, so no worries about overfilling my reservoir. I just have to worry about kids and dog tripping over my RO/DI line coming from the garage.

IMG_1516.jpg

bigdeeezy said:
very nice build! Just curious as to how much you spent on the diy LED?

Purhased the 48 LED DIY kit from RapidLED and picked up misc electronic odds and ends from Fry's. Since i already had the base Apex with variable speed ports, there was no need for a VDM as would have been the case if i went with other LED options. Prices are listed on the RapidLED website and the cost for other misc electronics items is highly dependent on each DIY application. Hope this helps.

Back