High Tide Aquatics

Good selection of fish for 90 reef?

Hey guys, so I finished cycling my 90 gal reef about a month ago. So far I got about 100 lbs of LR/Live sand, clean up crew (7 hermits, 4 emerald, 2 cleaner shrimp, 4 snails [I think I need more]), and some softies/LPS (Xenia, Bubble Coral, Frog Spawn, Kenya Tree). I have a 30 gal sump with Reef Octopus 150, Phosban and 10 gal refugium. Later I plan to add SPS and clams. Here are the list of fishes that I want to get:

1)Fire Fin Goby
2)A pair of Clown. (I can't decide if I want Ocellaris or Percular, any suggestion?) I plan to add anemone later, probably rose bubble tip.
3)Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
4)Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
5)ORA mandarin (I have a massive pod population in my tank right now, but I want him to eat frozen)
6)Yellow Tang
7)Blue Tang (this one is a maybe..)

I planed on adding these fishes once a month or maybe every other month.

Could you guys:
1)Let me know if this is a good combo for my mix reef 90. Possibly recommend more fishes? Personal experience with theses fishes?
2)In which order should I introduce these fishes to the tank? I numbered them by what I think is a good idea.
3)Will my tank be able to handle the bio-load? what about more fishes?

Thank you!

Two tangs in a 90 is a bad idea, especially for someone fairly new to fishkeeping.

Oscellaris and percs are virtually identical. Percs are slightly less aggressive, and some of the fancy colors only come in one species or the other, but get whatever you think is prettiest.

Fire fin goby -- do you mean firefish? Good choice, just add before more aggressive fish (i.e. Tangs and wrasses). And make sure your tank has a cover to prevent fish from jumping out!

Your list minus a tang are good choices and plenty of fish to start with. You can probably add a few more down the road (after 6-12 months of keeping these guys alive) but it would be best if you keep the stocking light until you gain more experience.

The load sounds fine but I'd go with this order and scratch the blue tang

1)Fire Fin Goby (have lots of hiding spots and watch close, the tangs can be punks :))
2)Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
3)Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
4)ORA mandarin (I have a massive pod population in my tank right now, but I want him to eat frozen)
5)A pair of Clown. (I can't decide if I want Ocellaris or Percular, any suggestion?) I plan to add anemone later, probably rose bubble tip.
6)Yellow Tang (I would get a small one if you can)

You might consider a Coral Beauty or Flame Angel instead of the tangs.
A nice medium size fish for a 90G.
Although they are not 100% guaranteed reef safe. Read up on them first.

Tanks a bunch guys! I had an idea blue tang would be a bad idea, so I'm gonna ditch him. Mark, I really wanted to get a flame angel, but I've heard they are not truly reef safe as you mentioned, so I don't know if its worth the risk. Also anyone has experience with ORA mandarin? I've heard they have a habit of reverting back to eating pods (if they are present) and they will stop eating frozen. People have problem with this because somewhere along the line they wipe out all pod population and starve to death.

Try a cherub angelfish instead of the flame angel, they are good looking and active fish. Also I have one that doesn't eat coral even though I have some fluffy LPS like brain corals. Go to this website if you want to see other angelfish to substitute the Flame angel with........
http://www.centropyge.net/

as you can see in my build thread, ive got a big blue tang and yellow tang in my 90 along with other sizeable fish. Just know you'll need to feed a lot to keep the Tangs happy and provide each fish their own area in the rock work to rest. My blue tang has been doing very well, nice fat and deep blue color. Feed heavy and try to filter/skim heavier.

I have an ora mandarin and he's good. He eats pods, mysis, and pellets. But he doesn't take care of bigger pods. For those I got a sixline wrasse. Sixline's Imo, are also good for keeping big pods and some worms under control.

Back