High Tide Aquatics

Bringing DBTC threads to the new site

Shortly we will using a new platform and this thread will be used to see who wants their old dbtc threads carried over. There are alot of dead threads and instead of bringing them all over , it will be easier to bring over the active ones. So if you would like to see your old thread carried over please post it here. Denzil is the web guru so please make it easy for him. He has done a ton of work for all of us

Hate to throw more work on an already generous effort but I think it's best to move all the DBTC threads to the new site. A lot of old timers were very generous with the DBTC program and should they ever return or drop by, they should be able to see how things are going and/or get frags back. Sure, it's an off chance but there's a bit of legacy and their generosity deserves it. Even if it takes a while longer or delays the launch, I think it's time well spent. Do it once, do it right. (And a huge thanks to Denzil for putting in the work)

Anyone who has taken a break from the hobby knows how easy it is to come back. ;)

The "dead threads" will not be deleted, but Denzil was thinking of archiving them so that they didn't have to all be moved over at once. He's going to archive the ones that haven't been active for 2+ years (if I recall correctly, this was the plan, but things do in fact change). So it's not that they will be gone for good, they just don't have moving priority over those that are active. It also helps with the work load.

Since all transactions have a status, a true dead thread to be archived is one where every coral is listed as dead or the owner of the frag is MIA. I wonder how many frags out there are actually active, but sorta forgotten about in a tank.

+1 with iCon.

And also what Tony said here:
Gomer said:
Since all transactions have a status, a true dead thread to be archived is one where every coral is listed as dead or the owner of the frag is MIA. I wonder how many frags out there are actually active, but sorta forgotten about in a tank.

That sounds like a good and fair plan to me.

I know there is a huge workload to make this happen. If it is indeed possible to move all the threads I will volunteer to work on the older threads, as time permits, to keep the relevant but not necessarily current data.

~Charlie

So what are the old / new data base formats?
I am decent at scripts, and others with more specific experience on those might be as well.
Perhaps the port can be automated with a bit of programming.

Database will remain the same: MySQL. The most difficult part about the transition are the relations and making sure everything transfers seamlessly. The most problematic/concerning relation to transfer over is the DBTC threads.

Mark, any and all help is welcome (within reason). We just need to be sure we're all on the same page when it comes to implementation. :)

If you guys need web software developer help and MySQL query help, I can help with migrations.
Do it a but for different clients and convert file formats.

Back