High Tide Aquatics

Hi!

Moving to the Bay area from Minneapolis and what better way than to say hi to reefers :) I have been in the hobby for about 4 years now.. last tank was a 240G all sides starfire SPS dominated tank.. sold the tank prior to the move but still have some of the big tank equipment ;)

Random pics before I took it down -
DSC_0088_zps814342c1.jpg

DSC_0006_zpse55ab2d0.jpg

DSC_0031_zps3c469aad.jpg

DSC_0131_zps39cdd793.jpg

DSC_0129_zpsd96fc2b0.jpg

Last edited:
Hoooboy, that first picture has a certain majestic quality about it, hopefully you can get back into the game with an equally large (or larger?? :D) tank.

Thanks for the warm welcome! looking forward to meeting more reefers in the near future. first things first I need a break from all glass boxes so we are making a stop at the Yellowstone and Grand teton parks!

Once settled down everything depends on what house we end up in and what the tank policies are.. for now it appears Im limited to a 20g :( but ... :)

plan for next tank assuming its possible is indeed a large tank more long and ftb than tall.. lookdown ;) instead of 24" tall it maybe 20 or 18" only... soooo much easier to work in but will limit choices of fish which is fine for me as Im a little conservative about fish picked up from the wild. there will be a lot more posts and build thread when the time is right.

Some names on here I am familiar with from RC.. looking forward to seeing if the faces match the expectations from the posts.. you better look intellectual heyhey

That first pic looks like a scene from finding nemo!
Welcome to the west coast.
I look forward to your new tank.

Yellowstone and the Tetons....been there done that....awesome!
If you're driving, I recommend the Crazyhorse monument and Devil's Tower

Safe travels

Hello again! such an awesome roadtrip; it was quite an experience especially the history side of it-- people doing the westward journey by foot and wagons when we though the journey in a cosy minivan was ummm long. It was very humbling. personal economy permitting we plan to explore more. why do I need a big house when there is the great outdoors :)

Back to mundane stuff-- so I see a couple of signatures that mention backyard setups. I would like to learn more. I dont have room inside the home for a decent sized large tank so was thinking of a sunroom or greenhouse. Am I overthinking?

Also if at all possible I would like to invite myself to see a setup or two in person before I walk down this path. We will greatly appreciate it, not to mention my kids also who have been to lightly put it missing a tank! Pictures would help also, if you could point me to threads that would keep me busy for a while

Back to mundane stuff-- so I see a couple of signatures that mention backyard setups. I would like to learn more. I dont have room inside the home for a decent sized large tank so was thinking of a sunroom or greenhouse. Am I overthinking?

Also if at all possible I would like to invite myself to see a setup or two in person before I walk down this path. We will greatly appreciate it, not to mention my kids also who have been to lightly put it missing a tank! Pictures would help also, if you could point me to threads that would keep me busy for a while

California has very expensive electricity. You should look at the "cost of electricity" before considering a greenhouse/backyard setup.

For my 120 gallon tank, running 8-bulb T5HOs with a sump below the stand (i.e. not a basement 10+foot water head)... I am still spending maybe $100-200 per month.

Mostly due to lights and return pump and electric heaters.

Will run you more if you run MHs and during summers when things get very hot, your chiller.

i would have broken down in tears breaking that tank down. amazing job! let us know when you adopt another child/set up a new tank! definitely looking forward to that!

Heyhey - for a while it was the tank vs moving.. we almost decided to keep that tank. until breakdown for top off we would take turns and let our tears drip into the tank :p
it was so hard to part with this one - 400+ heads bicolor hammer euphylia
_DSC0739.jpg

And Orange bam bams :)
DSC_0467.jpg

@ Zeroinverse - I need to figure out how to use qoutes, however thats the goal - need to figure out what works best for a largish type setup. Backyard would possibly mean benefitting from solar among other things...

Back