Reef nutrition

Clown fish eggs

I just noticed that my pair of snowflake onyx clown fish just layed a bunch of eggs. Since this is in my 150 tank with other fish even if they hatch I know none will survive, but it is just another little thing about having nature in your home. Interesting just watching them tend the eggs and keeping hungry mouths away.

My clowns have been laying eggs every two week or so for the past 6 months. It's definitely fun to watch them tending over them.

Spring must be in the air, CF wise!

One of my pairs laid eggs in the last few days. First time for them! I won't be raising this clutch, but in a month or so it will be time to get the system up and running.

Baby fish are SO CUTE!

Thanks Kensington reefer for your comment about providing the right environment for the animals we keep, I think that the best way to know this is if the fish and corals are in an environment where they feel safe and can multiply and grow.

Dick Flanagan

congrats it's always an accomplishment when a reefer can say that Fish are spawning in the reef they are tending to and a testament to the commitment they put into it. .

I look at is as good and bad in my tank =).. The good is my pair has been laying eggs for probably about 8 years and I know they are healthy and happy.. The bad is the aggression that comes along with the clutch lol..

At first I too was concerned with the aggressive possibility, but so far nothing too bad. No one gets near the eggs, but no fighting yet. This may be because the clown fish are always protective of their area, and by now all the fish expect to be run off if they get too close.

Anyone want to try their hand at hatching the eggs and rearing the larvae?

There's never been a better time - the Breeding and Propagation Workshop is right around the corner. :)

Back