Jestersix

Calcium Reactor Recommendation

boun11

Supporting Member
I am debating of getting a Calcium reactor. Any recommendation on one?

If you have one laying around I have Kore 5th doser to trade or frags

I am running an AquaMaxx Ca reactor and I am happy with it. Korailine is another good Ca Reactors

I also am using a variable speed perisaltic pump to feed the reactor and and shortly will be using an Electronic CO2 Regulator so I wont have to adjust either unless I want to raise or lower my levels.

Last edited:
I have a GEO cal. reactor that I used for years on s SPS system. No complaints, great piece of equipment. Took about a week to dial in the levels, but after that. It was maintenance free ( except changing out the media).

I use a geo personally. It's the only model I've ever used so I don't have much to compare it to, but seems very solid.

I definitely recommend running an adjustable speed peristaltic pump with it. I ran a reactor on my old 140g tank and I found that the high calcium content in the reactor effluent would always plug up the valve going to the tank. With the peristaltic pump (I used a refurb Masterflex pump) I never had any issues with plugging. I'd be careful to check the noise factor of these pumps though. The one I was using emit an audible hum on low speed -- if its in a stand it'd probably be alright.

Any recommendation on the peristaltic pump for a Calcium reactor? I picked up a used Stenner pump but I can't seem to get it to work. I am looking for a back up option.

Any recommendation on the peristaltic pump for a Calcium reactor? I picked up a used Stenner pump but I can't seem to get it to work. I am looking for a back up option.
I use a variable speed peristaltic pump by APT instruments

uploadfromtaptalk1439034566939.jpg

Jon

Search eBay as well. You may want to spend some time becoming familiar with the models that work best for calrx systems. There's an awesome thread on another popular reef forum that goes into great depth about these setups. I would recommend spending the extra coin on a brushless motor. Much quieter and less maintenance.

The apt pump that I have is a DC brushless & adjustable pump so you can turn the dial up or down depending if you want to increase or decrease alk/calcium in the tank...

Jon

Only problem is that even APT's brushless pumps are rated for just 20,000 hours. That is less than 2.5 years of continuous use. Their regular pumps are rated well less than one year of continuous use.

As most things in this and other industries the publish stats are on the conservative side...that being said I have a friend who introduced me to these pumps has his running over the 2.5 yr mark, but each pump could be slightly different....???

Mine will be running for one year in November so I can't say how long it will go but later down the road I will be able to report my findings...lol

Back