High Tide Aquatics

Jebao DCT-6000 failed

rygh

BOD
BOD
So one of my return pumps failed.
And it was one of the new DCT-6000 models, not the old DC-6000, or the even older DC-5000.
It is not just crud either. It was not that dirty and cleaning made no difference.
It has been around a year I think. Interestingly, my several year old DC-6000 is still going fine.
Unclear if it is the pump, controller, or power supply.

I have an old DC-6000 for a spare, and I had dual return pumps for redundancy, so not a big deal.
I went into this knowing the risks.

But a heads up for others.

Now that there seem to be DC return pumps from more reputable vendors, I may switch.
Although frustrating that they use a lot more power.
Between the up front cost and electricity costs, it may be cheaper just to buy spares.

that is my main concern with the DC powered pumps! I'm still not sold on their reliabilty just yet. As of now, I'm still sticking to my old tired & true Eheim. It's a proven performer time and time again.

So for internal pumps in the 1500GPH range:

* GPW (Gallons Per Watt) is very important to me.
Partly to reduce energy use and electric bill.
Partly because I don't want to add a chiller in the summer.

Going to the Eheim-5000 is certainly an option.
Not expensive, VERY reputable.
1350 GPH at 86W = 15 GPW. Ouch.

Abyzz or Red Dragon are just crazy expensive.
Not interested.

The Waveline is basically a slightly older Jebao model with a small warranty.
Not interested.

The EcoTech Vectra M1 pumps look very interesting.
A bit expensive but not horrible.
2000 GPH at 80W = 25 GPW. So-So.

There is now a Reef Octopus Varios pump. Looks a LOT like the EcoTech.
Same 36V, but seems slightly derated on flow.
I have not heard much about it.
1720 GPH at 70W = 24 GPW.

There is a DeepWater Aquatics pump. Pretty similar to Jebao.
It has great energy efficiency numbers. A bit too good....
1900 GPH at 43.2W = 43 GPW

As comparison with the DCT-6000
1585 GPH at 42W = 37 GPW.

Other opinions welcome.

I have the deep water aquatics pump, it's not similar to Jebao except maybe it uses a 6 step controller with basic up/down/feed buttons that every DC pump uses, but it is in an aluminum housing for cooling purposes. Also the pump itself isn't that same generic design with the fake plastic fins to make it look like it has a cooling function.

As to the efficiency, a lot of that depends upon how much head pressure it has too, even if there is no head the fact it can pump it means it tends to be a bit less efficient. I think the Deepwater one is small like 13 feet, so it says something about the total efficiency, but I don't recall what the head pressure graph looks like for that, it used to be something you saw with every pump not so much anymore

I had a failed DC-9000 within 3 months of ownership. The replacement DC-9000 hasn't ever had a problem.

I switched to a DCS-12000 over a year ago and also haven't had an issue in either our CA tank or MA tank it ended up in.

Agreed you should always prepare for return pump failure, but not sure about the reliability of these pumps - seems hit or miss depending on model and usage rates.

Interesting data about the Deepwater pump.

I noticed something strange though.
The DC7 = 1900 GPH, 5M head, at only 43W. (44 GPW)
The DC8 = 2100 GPH, 5.5M head, yet jumps up to 67W. (31 GPW)
Way different.
Then I look for what is really for sale - Only the DC8.

Yeah looking at head pressure on their website at13 ft the bldc drops to 1100 gph but then the next 3 ft it drops to nothing, the bldc8 however is about 1400gph at 13ft, and at 16 it still pushes 1000gph, so that extra half meter translates to a lot of head room and a slower decline on flow rate, which is why it "isnt as efficient"

Back