Kessil

Randy's Red Sea Reefer 250

Your right in thinking that your alk/ca uptake is going to increase with those new additions. Are you testing your alk daily?

Yeah, been doing the dosing in the morning and then testing in the evening every night. Brought tank from dKH of 7 to 8 first two nights, then after increasing from 5.5ml/day dosing to 10ml/day, dKH has held at 8 for 3-4 days before I added the new purchases.

Last edited:
Day 61: Two of three yuma ricordea (I actually this is a florda and not a yuma now) pieces finally attached to some rubble so I was able to glue those two down and grab a pic of them. Also pulled out the Canon 7D and my f/2.8 100mm macro lens from the closet and dusted it off; been a while since I used it.

Day_0061_yellow_mint_green_yuma.jpg

I also got two new tank buddies, a small flame angel and a six line wrasse (to replace my wrasse vs. MP40 loss) and they actually seem like buddies. They've been swimming around together like they're best little fishy playmates for the last couple of days.

Day_0061_eagle_eye_zoa.jpg

Day_0061_six_line_wrasse.jpg

I took some other macros since I had the camera out.

These next three are from the last frag swap, vamp in drag zoa (I think), rasta zoa, and neon green candy cane. I've actually already fragged the vamp in drag zoa and the rasta zoa since I was moving them around anyway and they're growing like weeds. If they keep growing this fast, I'll have some to pass around before the next frag swap.
Day_0061_vamp_in_drag_zoa.jpg

bleah...micro bubbles on the rastas.
Day_0061_rasta_zoa.jpg

Day_0061_neon_green_candy_cane.jpg

BTA seems to be less bubbly at the tips. I hope it's not like that because it decided to relocate itself to a half shady spot.
Day_0061_BTA_macro.jpg

Polyps!
Day_0061_purple_green_acro.jpg

Day_0061_fuzzy_acro.jpg

Day_0061_yellow_and_white_acro.jpg

Last edited:
Ever wonder what a neon green candy cane looks like at night? Taken with just ambient room LED lighting (2700K).

Day_0061_neon_green_candy_cane_at_night.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful! Agree vamp in drag looks awesome. Beautiful flame angel and wrasse. I'm nervous to get have a flame, but I might just have to go for it (eventually). To beautiful not to gamble a little.

How did you secure that zoa onto new rock? You can glue directly on the stalk?

And if I want to transfer my yuma to a new rock you cut it off the existing rock and then put it amongst the new rock? Thanks Randy.

Last edited:
Day 61: Two of three yuma pieces finally attached to some rubble so I was able to glue those two down and grab a pic of them. Also pulled out the Canon 7D and my f/2.8 100mm macro lens from the closet and dusted it off; been a while since I used it.

Day_0061_yellow_mint_green_yuma.jpg

I also got two new tank buddies, a small flame angel and a six line wrasse (to replace my wrasse vs. MP40 loss) and they actually seem like buddies. They've been swimming around together like they're best little fishy playmates for the last couple of days.

Day_0061_flame_angel.jpg

Day_0061_six_line_wrasse.jpg

I took some other macros since I had the camera out.

These next three are from the last frag swap, vamp in drag zoa (I think), rasta zoa, and neon green candy cane. I've actually already fragged the vamp in drag zoa and the rasta zoa since I was moving them around anyway and they're growing like weeds. If they keep growing this fast, I'll have some to pass around before the next frag swap.
Day_0061_vamp_in_drag_zoa.jpg

bleah...micro bubbles on the rastas.
Day_0061_rasta_zoa.jpg

Day_0061_neon_green_candy_cane.jpg

BTA seems to be less bubbly at the tips. I hope it's not like that because it decided to relocate itself to a half shady spot.
Day_0061_BTA_macro.jpg

Polyps!
Day_0061_purple_green_acro.jpg

Day_0061_fuzzy_acro.jpg

Day_0061_yellow_and_white_acro.jpg
Where did you get the flame? Might need to pick up another one if mine does not survive. I don't know if I want to go back where I got him from

How did you secure that zoa onto new rock? You can glue directly on the stalk?

And if I want to transfer my yuma to a new rock you cut it off the existing rock and then put it amongst the new rock? Thanks Randy.

You can glue the bottom of the zoa matting to rock, just make sure not to get any on it that would prevent it from opening. I just use gel superglue.

For the yuma, you gotta be careful not to tear/cut it (unless you want to propagate it). If you want to keep it in one piece it's better to use a scalpel or chisel to chip away the rock or frag plug under the attached foot. After you get it free, I just placed it in a container with a lot of tiny little rock rubble. If you don't have a really low flow area, you may need to put mesh on top of it so it doesn't blow or float away. Give it 3-4 days and it should be reattached and then you can glue that small rock rubble it attached to to where you actually want it to be. Another method I've read is that some people have used a loose fitting rubber band to secure it to the rock where they want it, but I've never tried that.

Last edited:
Beautiful! Agree vamp in drag looks awesome. Beautiful flame angel and wrasse. I'm nervous to get have a flame, but I might just have to go for it (eventually). To beautiful not to gamble a little.

Yeah, I was the same way. Just gonna make sure this little guy is well fed so his mind doesn't wander and think polyps start looking delicious.

I also went with the smaller one hoping that I could "train" him what food was and wasn't.

Last edited:
If there's any problems can always trap it. Heard you can train to feed from a trap so you don't need to take apart everything to catch the guy.

I thought aquatic collection had a good selection of fish.

Back