Cali Kid Corals

Will's 300g Re-Do

I added my Achilles last, but really he is super chill. The least aggressive of my tangs (granted the other two are a yellow and a purple). You just never know with fish I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I would do an Achilles, I've always fancied the mimic lemon peel, might be just different enough shape that the yellow ignores it. Tangs are fun fish, but I always feel that once you have the necessary herbivore collection you should quit, let those fewer big guys kind of rule the tank and keep smaller fish in order. I got a yellow, purple, kole, and tomini in my 300g pond, also got a foxface but I'm not happy with him :D

Just got home after 5 days and found my Exquisite wrasse on top of my screen cover :(. I have someone to come in and feed my fish and he must not have slid the screen back correctly one day...even though the screen was in the right place when I got home. Well...at least it was one of my less expensive wrasses....and not my Rhomboid.

I am a big fan of adding fish in multiples when it makes sense and its possible. I have had my eyes on this species for some time. I just got this trio of captive-bred fanged (Meiacanthus grammistes) from LA/DD. First time ordering livestock online since I always support my LFS when it comes to livestock. They are now sitting in my QT undergoing Prazi and TTM together with a yellow eyed Kole Tang.

iPhone pic
95d4fcf411f43fabccd75781891a49a9.jpg

iPhone pic
95d4fcf411f43fabccd75781891a49a9.jpg
Finally got them to start eating on Day 3. I had been trying Mysis, tiny pellets, chopped sponge/tunicate. Looks they are going for the Mysis, which makes sense since tthey feed on tiny crustaceans in the wild. although being captive raised, my bet is that they should eat pellets regularly. The Prazi most likely impacted their apetite.

As part of my rebuild, I had plumbed a line out to my "fish closet" out in the garage which is about 12-15 ft away. That is where I've had my mixing station. The intent was to have my reactors setup out there rather than under the tank to minimize water splashing in the house and make it easier to swap out media. Anyway, I run a biopellet reactor which requires a lot of flow to keep the pellets tumbling. But, I couldn't get enough flow to make them tumble. Sure, enough, I have not been able to get my NO3 below 25ppm. My GFO reactor requires a lot less flow and PO4 have been staying below 0.04ppm. So, I completely under estimated how much friction loss I was going to have pumping water from one of my return pumps (Vectra L1) out to the closet. I ran 1" PVC... It would have helped if I had run 1 1/4" or even 1 1/2"....ah well.

So, I replumbed my biopellet reactor so that I could run it under the DT in the sump. The output is now going directly to feed my skimmer. this should be a much better setup. And unlike other reactors such as GAC or GFO, I only need to change this out every 6 months or so.... I had considered changing to carbon dosing, but I have had good success running biopellets.

There is no room outside of the sump...so I had to place it in the sump.

0d316a9278ba406bcf2d73d60d0a1cd5.jpg

My disorganized "fish closet"

2d8b23ada30c2cb80fbe88753749489c.jpg

As part of my rebuild, I had plumbed a line out to my "fish closet" out in the garage which is about 12-15 ft away. That is where I've had my mixing station. The intent was to have my reactors setup out there rather than under the tank to minimize water splashing in the house and make it easier to swap out media. Anyway, I run a biopellet reactor which requires a lot of flow to keep the pellets tumbling. But, I couldn't get enough flow to make them tumble. Sure, enough, I have not been able to get my NO3 below 25ppm. My GFO reactor requires a lot less flow and PO4 have been staying below 0.04ppm. So, I completely under estimated how much friction loss I was going to have pumping water from one of my return pumps (Vectra L1) out to the closet. I ran 1" PVC... It would have helped if I had run 1 1/4" or even 1 1/2"....ah well.

So, I replumbed my biopellet reactor so that I could run it under the DT in the sump. The output is now going directly to feed my skimmer. this should be a much better setup. And unlike other reactors such as GAC or GFO, I only need to change this out every 6 months or so.... I had considered changing to carbon dosing, but I have had good success running biopellets.

There is no room outside of the sump...so I had to place it in the sump.

0d316a9278ba406bcf2d73d60d0a1cd5.jpg

My disorganized "fish closet"

2d8b23ada30c2cb80fbe88753749489c.jpg
Looks like that's under the staircase?

Looks like that's under the staircase?
haha...yes it is. it's tiny and cramped and the closet doesn't back up to the tank. But better than nothing. I had to run several lines under the crawlspace to make this work. My initial idea a few years ago was to actually put the sump out there. But, I received a lot of advice that I would end up with a disaster because the drain from the DT would eventually get an airlock..

Some current tank shots with my iPhone....Need to borrow my daughter's DSLR....gotta learn how to use it first. [emoji50]

a0f9dc3d3344885d2bf0a99431af1178.jpg

9e32c0e6d5424484afb32385ef60d063.jpg

d0f0f56c35f54673d8e24b660f605794.jpg

ab05c9b3a8546d64362de962bb3e59c2.jpg

Last edited:
I see a couple spots for corals. Better fill em now before everything grows on more! Looking good. Especially like a couple of those chalices. Emerald mummy eye? Pink one too.

I added a Achilles tang recently and he was harrashed by the king of the tank the powder blue for a week but the aggression subsided. The powder blue was never fast enough to get him. Now the swim side by side. Was lucky to get the achilles from a established tank. He eats like a pig and loves nori on clip and also eating reef nutrion flakes. I have found that adding tangs together will reduce a lot of the aggression.

Back