Kessil

Reefer 170 reborn

Also wondering is it make sense to seed some coraline algae? if so who can share some around Concord?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also wondering is it make sense to seed some coraline algae? if so who can share some around Concord?

You can also go to an LFS and look for a snail with coralline. That’s how I got coralline introduced to my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thanks! Looks strange anyway - fritz is available everywhere but the params are so off that I think it makes sense to look somewhere else...

I think that’s what a lot of reefers in the club chose to do. I still have some that I haven’t used up since I stopped doing water changes. I just keep it on hand for the just in case scenario.

I think that’s what a lot of reefers in the club chose to do. I still have some that I haven’t used up since I stopped doing water changes. I just keep it on hand for the just in case scenario.
Thank you! What salt did you change to? I still have some IO RC but it has much higher Alk and I assume lower trace elements than Fritz.

Ricordias slowly recovering , zoas gone. Is this ric shows too much flow or not enough light?

1cdecd8d3981a5d6d6ee56c5809ed48e.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting - what can consume ALK in the new tank without hard corals? Coraline? My measurements shows 1dkh/day ALK drop, is it normal?

Interesting - what can consume ALK in the new tank without hard corals? Coraline? My measurements shows 1dkh/day ALK drop, is it normal?

Coraline, baby snails can suck up some serious alk, precipitation (is your sand getting some hard chunks)?

2/15/18 - 7.0 - added tspn Seachem Reef Builder
2/17/18 - 8.7
2/23/18 - 6.7 - added tspn Seachem Reef Builder, raised KH to 9.2
2/26/18- 7.0

So, it's about 0.7 DKH/day drop in past 3 days. And I don't see baby snails or precipitation so far.

2/15/18 - 7.0 - added tspn Seachem Reef Builder
2/17/18 - 8.7
2/23/18 - 6.7 - added tspn Seachem Reef Builder, raised KH to 9.2
2/26/18- 7.0

So, it's about 0.7 DKH/day drop in past 3 days. And I don't see baby snails or precipitation so far.
I don’t think one tsp reef builder will raise your dkh that much, maybe sanity check it using a dose calculator like http://www.seachem.com/calculators.php

I would take your earlier measurement more seriously since you gave everything time to dissolve/equilibriate before measuring:

2/17/18 - 8.7
2/23/18 - 6.7

That’s more like 0.3 dKh drop per day. Seems a little high to me if you don’t have a lot of calcifying critters - there may be a little precipitation, but not out of control.

By the way if you want coralline to grow faster you should try to lower your Mg from >>1500, the times my Mg was that high I saw coralline crumbling off the back wall/rocks. Some people keep their Mg high as an algae deterrent though.

I think my Mg test is wrong - it's RedSea test and I've heard it shows significantly higher values than the others. I will try to find Salifert kit around and re-check. Will see - first months can be really interesting in terms of chemistry :)
I also double-check Seachem Reef Calc and it's about right ( considering precision of regular teaspoon I used) - for 35 gal water 1.5 tspn will raise Alk from 6.7 to 9 dkh

almost same time - in the morning, before light start. Honestly there was 2 hours difference, than I added alk and re-tested in another 2 hours.

It’s a wide-lens that makes it look floating, however the rubber sheet under the tank does’t run all all the way to the edge - its slightly smaller - maybe 1/16” or less:

20b2960e801cc0a47850e13441238165.jpg

Not an Amano quality but still beautiful-looking IMHO

Back