got ethical husbandry?

Tank Journal : Converting Fresh water to a Saltwater Tank

Emarco is pretty over price for r400 and acryl 60 mixture. I order some basf N427 which used to be call r400 and arcylic 60 for half the price of emarco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at BRS Tonga plates but didn't realise Marco had them also.

I was looking up how to cut/drill marco rocks and from what I've read people are having a hard time drilling these suckers. If I'm unsuccessful, I would probably have to think of something else.

Also, I'll check on the more affordable glue epoxy stuff.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at BRS Tonga plates but didn't realise Marco had them also.

I was looking up how to cut/drill marco rocks and from what I've read people are having a hard time drilling these suckers. If I'm unsuccessful, I would probably have to think of something else.

Thanks!

Let me know i have 50lbs coming i might have some extra.

Thanks!

A hammer-drill will help, use a small diameter bit first then move gradually with larger ones to the desired diameter of the bores.
Try wet drilling, otherwise you have to wear a mask.

A hammer-drill will help, use a small diameter bit first then move gradually with larger ones to the desired diameter of the bores.
Try wet drilling, otherwise you have to wear a mask.

I saw a few videos on drilling rocks, seems like a tough job especially with Marco Rocks. I've seen someone put the rock in a tub of water and using a hammer drill, since water helps with drilling?

The local home depot have these hammer drills available for rental at $20/ 4hrs. I would most likely buy the insurance :).

Working on the sump area and the manifold. A little worried about the flex tubing connecting to the Red Sea Barb. I don't think the barb is 1", I believe it uses a different measurement system. Also the barb area connected to my return pump is 1", but the pump supports 3/4" and 1 1/4". I saw a barb fitting at BRS with 1" thread to 1 1/4 inch barb. I'm going to try that and see if I can't finish up the plumbing part of this project.

b3ec14a20dcdfcf71e302cef82fe863d.jpg

You don't need a big hammer drill, depending on where you live, I think you can borrow one from a fellow hobbyist.
Water helps in keeping the dust down or null and the drilling bit cool.
If you are drilling wet rock, use a GFCI if you have the drill plugged on AC.

Just a note - you really should add Acryl 660 to the N427. It helps it stick and gives some flex in the process. N427 will work solo, but on larger projects in general the A660 really helps.

Is the basf 660 same as other acryl 60 i got a gallon on its way?

Red Sea uses metric plumbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wrapped the barb with around 20 spins of Teflon Tape and plugged it back in with a tighter fit since the metric plumbing size is a little smaller than the 1" size from the red sea return line to my pvc 1" piping. I've only used Teflon Tape for threaded things before, never used it for barb fittings. If someone has used Teflon Tape with success on barb fitting before, let me know so I can have a peace of mind.

thanks!

Teflon tape is going to make the barbs in the barbed fitting next to useless. Too much pressure and the hose will pop out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a water test yesterday and everything seems to be good. The area of concern had a little leak, possibly 1 drop every hour. I added two tight raps to the area as a temporary fix, and it seems to hold up overnight.

Added the Varios 6 to power the return pump. Set the power settings to 3. It replaces my Tunze Silent. Which one is louder? I would say at a setting of 3, the Varios is more quiet. With setting 4,5 for power the Varios is much louder. This is without adding any kind of matte to absorb the vibration. I do plan on buying a plastic matte or something to place under the Varios. Various 6 has a float kill switch, it doesn't make sense to me logically but seems like people like that feature, I'm still trying to think of a use for it.

Next Steps:

Aquascape
Have 50lbs of Marco Rocks, 35lbs of shelf+prime cuts arriving on Monday the 26th.

Equipment

From Old Freshwater Tank
Media Reactor: Have a BRS Dual Media Reactor: Was thinking Carbon/GFO
UV Sterilizer: Aqua UV Advantage 2000 15w.
Aquatic Life Edge 48": Not sure if this is good enough, but might be ok while I'm doing research.

Candidates for purchase:
Protein Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 150Int (top candidate), or the space saver version.
Kessil AP 700: for lighting if and when I decide to move to corals?
Nutrient Export: ATS, Refugium, Carbon Dosing - ( Which one? I'm not really sure, would need to do more research).

Path
Initially I was thinking about setting up a FOWLR, and once everything was good slowly move into corals when I feel that I have learned enough and feel
that I can handle it.

thanks!

Back