Neptune Aquatics

Tunze ATO 3155will not top off?

3155 only fills water for ~10 seconds when powered on, and then no longer top off.

It is located at the return section of sump. The control LED continues to show water level correct (despite return section of sum is very low.

I have used vinegar to clean the optical sensor and wipe it clean.

The overflow float switch does work, which triggers audio beep and red LED light if I pull the float up.

Going out of town this weekend for a week. Appreciate all the tips I can get!

Thanks,
Julius

i have the same unit sitting un-used, if you want to try another eye to help troubleshoot, you're welcome borrow mine, (if it works, feel free to use it during your trip. Your reef tank is the last thing you want to be worried about while on vacation.

3155 only fills water for ~10 seconds when powered on, and then no longer top off.

It is located at the return section of sump. The control LED continues to show water level correct (despite return section of sum is very low.

I have used vinegar to clean the optical sensor and wipe it clean.

The overflow float switch does work, which triggers audio beep and red LED light if I pull the float up.

Going out of town this weekend for a week. Appreciate all the tips I can get!

Thanks,
Julius

That’s strange. I feel like I’ve had to trouble shoot every problem except that one on my tunze ATO. I’ve read that optical sensor failures are very rare for the tunze, but I’m not sure what else it could be. When you turn it on, the light is green which means that the unit passed its initial diagnostic. The pump works so it’s not a pump failure. It has been cleaned, no bubbles. I think it sounds like an optical sensor failure. I would say get a replacement and contact tunze.

Always good to have an spare ato anyways, along with heater and return pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go to the Tunze forum on ReefCentral for prompt troubleshooting and advice. What a pain for you to have this issue.

i have the same unit sitting un-used, if you want to try another eye to help troubleshoot, you're welcome borrow mine, (if it works, feel free to use it during your trip. Your reef tank is the last thing you want to be worried about while on vacation.
Newjack - appreciate your offer to help. I have a DIY ATO which has never failed. Currently running on a brute can to cycle rocks. I will relocate to the DT. The cycling of rocks I think can live with water a bit salty for a week?

In contact with Roger from Tunze. He concludes the optical sensor is bad.

It is used, about 2 years old in total I think.

Roger from Tunze says it MAY still be under warranty. I will provide him with the label reading this evening and see what happens.

Xcaret, appreciate your offer to help. I am all good now. I am using a diy ato from brute can cycling live rocks, and a replacement sensor free of charge is in mail from Tunze.

Xcaret, appreciate your offer to help. I am all good now. I am using a diy ato from brute can cycling live rocks, and a replacement sensor free of charge is in mail from Tunze.
Wow, if I had known, I would have tried to get a free replacement myself! I had the exact same problem and ordered a replacement sensor, which fixed the issue.

Back