Kessil

Rygh's 250 gallon - rev.2

Another question to ask is how concentrated is the kalkwasser, I would regularly make a half strength batch because I was tired of the instant precipitation when it hit the water. although if you have a stirrer presumably it is fully saturated

Another question to ask is how concentrated is the kalkwasser, I would regularly make a half strength batch because I was tired of the instant precipitation when it hit the water. although if you have a stirrer presumably it is fully saturated

Yes, fully saturated because of reactor.
It drips pretty slowly, so I do not see any precipitation.

Although when I first set it up, I put the output pipe touching the water, and it quickly built up precipitate on the pipe.
Seems like dripping it some distance helps.

Well when I did it I still used a peristaltic pump, so it was a "slow" drip, only thing I could maybe think of is perhaps my water was already fairly high in calc/alk or maybe pH was too low(?), either way I have the Avast stirrer now, so it's going to be fully saturated anyways.

edit: ah crap, I'm artarded... it wasn't the kalk I mixed at half strength it was the 2 part solution.

Yes, fully saturated because of reactor.
It drips pretty slowly, so I do not see any precipitation.

Although when I first set it up, I put the output pipe touching the water, and it quickly built up precipitate on the pipe.
Seems like dripping it some distance helps.

That happened to me too. It was a couple inches of solid kalkwasser before I noticed. I looked through my sump and saw this weirdly shaped white thing.

How many gallon is your system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Total system gallons is about 160 I suppose.

I fully saturate it too. I started out doing it partially saturated but it was actually a fair amount more work to figure out how much I was needing to put in for whatever saturation I was aiming for in each batch. Now I just dump in 1/2 cup at a time and just refill the container.

Power glitch yesterday - surprising problems.
It was one of those really short glitches, bad for electronics.

One of my Tunze powerheads ended up in some strange buzzing mode.
Not starting, but not stopping.
Removed plug, put it back, no problem.

Half of my new AI prime lights looked dead. Very worried about that for a bit.
I have two master lights (left/right) and left master somehow forgot its programming when power cycled.
Normally it would connect to cloud and update.
But I also forgot to update my AI prime network connection when I changed routers a few months back.
Easy enough to fix.

So no real issues. No floods.
Good to check I guess...

So how longer were you saying "no no no no no f*** no no no f*** no don't you do this to me!!!" before you figured it out? :D
Only a few stressful minutes. Electronics are sort of my thing.
But I am still a bit annoyed at the lights. They are supposed to remember the settings after power cycle even if not cloud connected.

I have really been thinking seriously of restarting my tank to eliminate Majanos.
:(

Been thinking of it a long time.
Tried most everything. Filefish sort of worked, but are not really reef safe.
Even the inside of my skimmer is infested.

The key "last straw" was the upcoming club frag swap.
Before, it was mostly in my DT, so frag tank was pretty safe, and I would check and clean frags before trade.
But now, the frag tank is terrible, and anything I grow out gets seriously infested.
No way to trade that.
Pretty bummed to skip the swap.

But ironically, the other reason is a good one.
With latest Kalk reactor addition, I fixed PH, so I think I have finally solved all my major issues.
(Lights, flow, noise, Nitrate, Phosphate, PH, controllers, dosing, and so on)
I was thinking it might be time for quite a bit more SPS.
So time for some radical new aquascaping anyway.

Probably think about it for a few more weeks, get a plan together, then make a final decision.
So much work though...

I've been forced to do that
best to start with clean rock and clean off as many as you can
the larger angels will eat them, but untrustworthy of your corals
my sympathies

I can’t really wrap my head around restarting a tank that size with the big fish you have. Would you have to set up a huge holding tank? Or cure and cycle a ton of dry rock and have some sort of ammonia uptake system like zeovit temporarily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, been here myself. Except with me stuff was not going back into the same tank, which was a huge influence in my decision because all you need is one little bugger hiding in a corner of the overflow and that's it, your restart just gave you some ease while the pests repopulated.

You really need to bleach everything, including the tank to rid yourself, and it has to be aggressive too, none of this 1:20 dilution ratio garbage. Which would be very difficult.

Another option is if your rockwork was not all interconnected is to remove a section at a time, bleach it, then prime it clean and put it back in the tank. Kind of like some tank maintenance guys do it, just repeat that over the course of months, of course corals would need to be removed it it could just be your maintenance thing you have to do on your tank from now on

I can’t really wrap my head around restarting a tank that size with the big fish you have. Would you have to set up a huge holding tank? Or cure and cycle a ton of dry rock and have some sort of ammonia uptake system like zeovit temporarily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically yes, I have to set up 2 new tanks for a while.
One 30G or so, with good lights, for very carefully cut and checked frags of all the coral I want to keep.
Another 150G one for the fish. Likely a cheap stock tank.
Get those up and cycled, move things gradually.
Then shut down the entire old system, run it with chlorine + tap water for a week.
Then clean up all the rock and so on, cycle the old tank, and gradually move things back.
Months...

Back