Cali Kid Corals

First Tank!

so this is the bug i found on the torch, finally got a good photo of it! looks like the same as the duncan bug. i tried getting it off the torch and learned a lesson. torch's are super fragile so i ended up with the tentacle + the bug. torch seems no different.

nF632Pr.png

Hi guys!

Some updates for the tank.
Removed Nanobox Duo Led light and replaced with ATI t5 6x24 + reef brite (more on this later)
I have removed the icecap 1k gyre, it was way to strong for my tank. replaced with a MP10. Love this thing.
I noticed my nitrates have been going up due to my love of target feeding corals so i added a second algae reactor to try to export more.

So time for some bad news. I have been battle depression over my anemone's for a few weeks now. To embarrassed to share my story but I have finally gave in.
Started out mid march when I noticed my CSB's starting to lose color. Confused I started to monitor them and noticed they are getting worse. After running all the parameter tests and coming back normal, I looked to the lighting. I bought a seneye par meter and noticed the par right under the lights, above the water level was 300~ meaning under the water at the first rocks was 100-150. Sand level was 50~. Nem box was 50~. After talking to many people I came to the conclusion the nems were not getting enough light and getting sick. Bruce gave me some Cipro and I bought a 10 gallon tank and started a 7 day cycle of cipro treatment. Before treatment. They were deflated, mouth swollen, gaping open, tentacles small shriveled up, unresponsive to touch, lost all color. After treatment, mouth back to normal, tentacles starting to inflate more, still no color. I put them back into the nem box and in the tank again. After a few days of slight improvements in size but still no color I got sad and finally gave in. Released the two into the tank and removed the nem box. Almost instantly one moved over into the crack of a rock and disappeared inside it. Later that evening I went and viewed and it came out the other side and puffed up bigger than I had seen it in weeks. The other stayed curled up that evening after it attached. The next day both were opened up and tentacles are starting to fill up again! This made me start to believe the nems might not have been getting enough flow inside the box? But that was 2 days ago and they have not moved around the tank since finding the spot they are in. Still no color, size is getting bigger, tentacles are still looking better. So hopefully over the next few months they will start to recover and get color back to normal.

anyways. photo time

EznJSvf.png

s7JHPXZ.jpg

QX6DGii.png

ZfFjRbI.png

sOVrtMO.png

FcQHZvG.png

NDSv1Qs.png

DeWMAgj.png

uUeBRRv.png

AogbI8B.png

m11NH5L.png

That truly sucks. Sounds like you did all you could to help them recover. Hope they can regain color eventually. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope they get better, thats a lot of money down the drain if they start to go south lol

It is a lot of money. But I’m more sad about them losing color and not bring happy. They were so fun to look at and take photos.

That truly sucks. Sounds like you did all you could to help them recover. Hope they can regain color eventually. Fingers crossed.

I’ve heard from people mixed things. Some get the color back after months. Some stay like this for awhile and melt away.

This is why I've stayed away from CSB or Lemon Drop type btas. Too many stories of btas coming in looking great then fading into regular btas or just melting.

This is why I've stayed away from CSB or Lemon Drop type btas. Too many stories of btas coming in looking great then fading into regular btas or just melting.

I wish somebody had a lemon drop still. Would be cool to see a real one.

Those nems don't look all that big. Feeding large food might not be the best plan.
You might want to stick to a bit of Mysis daily.

Bummer to hear about the CSB!

So you concluded it was flow + light?

Best of luck!!

Yes that’s my guess. The box was a diy version. And ever since releasing them I have noticed a fuller face.

The light I for sure believe to be a factor. It didn’t really cover the edges of the tank unless I raised it real high. With it to high it produced to little of light for the tank. I think it works well for centrally located corals. Not a nem box on the rim.

Back