Our mission

My 200 gallon mixed reef tank

Yeah. Fingers crossed :). Was thinking about getting gsps for her to graze but they turn into pests with how much they grow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trick : Put GSP on a small independent rock pedestal, surrounded by sand.
They grow like crazy up and to the sides.
But they do not grow down and across the sand bed.
And you can easily prune the tendrils that stick out.

Yeah Ive read a lot of tank stories where gsp drift and reattach somewhere else. If anything Ill get another tank just for my daring ideas.

Quick question before I do it in 3 hours. Should I buy 3 5-6inch maxima clams for my tank or is that overkill? Was thinking 1 on each side and 1 in the middle.

Overkill in what sense? Too many? Nah. I mean clams grow, and cost more for larger sizes so you could save a few bucks by going with smaller clams. They do take up calcium and alkalinty way faster than the fastest growing corals out there, so that does need to be taken into consideration.

Also be weary of how you buy clams, many places you can see them from the top down, and their colors look vastly different than from the side through the glass, not like corals either. A super bright blue/teal clam can look dull purple, a shimmering gold clam can look brown.

Overkill in what sense? Too many? Nah. I mean clams grow, and cost more for larger sizes so you could save a few bucks by going with smaller clams. They do take up calcium and alkalinty way faster than the fastest growing corals out there, so that does need to be taken into consideration.

Also be weary of how you buy clams, many places you can see them from the top down, and their colors look vastly different than from the side through the glass, not like corals either. A super bright blue/teal clam can look dull purple, a shimmering gold clam can look brown.

Cost is only an issue at the absence of value. :)

Im going large so I dont need to deal with the insufficient nutrients in water that small clams often run into. I think next month I will start dosing calcium and magnesium.

Good point! Ill look at it on the side and tell the guy to put it under different light settings. If it turns out my tank cant handle it or they dont open by tomorrow morning, I might bring one to frag swap tomorrow for some raffle prize I was reading? Not sure if donations are accepted this late and if it can be considered a coral entry....

Quick question before I do it in 3 hours. Should I buy 3 5-6inch maxima clams for my tank or is that overkill? Was thinking 1 on each side and 1 in the middle.

Given your open aquascape, I think 3 clams would look great in there. The bigger the better.

My only suggestion - perhaps wait a little. I thought clams sometimes had nutrient issues in new tanks.

Given your open aquascape, I think 3 clams would look great in there. The bigger the better.

My only suggestion - perhaps wait a little. I thought clams sometimes had nutrient issues in new tanks.

Okay :)

Yeah I read that they have nutrient issues too. Its mostly prevalent in the small ones but big ones can get enough through photosynthesis on the mantle + some filtering of water?

As long as they open up, I should be okay. I have concentrated microalgae I can put into the water that help them do great too according to many reviews and care articles. Will let you and everyone else know how it goes!

Im getting the purple/blue mantled ones. Might decide to trade/sell for other colors if I want some color diversity.

Okay :)

Yeah I read that they have nutrient issues too. Its mostly prevalent in the small ones but big ones can get enough through photosynthesis on the mantle + some filtering of water?

As long as they open up, I should be okay. I have concentrated microalgae I can put into the water that help them do great too according to many reviews and care articles. Will let you and everyone else know how it goes!

Im getting the purple/blue mantled ones. Might decide to trade/sell for other colors if I want some color diversity.

If you specifically feed them and have decent light, probably be fine. Plus you have quite a few fish already.
I think most reports are from people that just dump them in a new tank and hope for the best.

17d5ec39989f4168231e1059a113b207.jpg

c2dcb176d629f4defac345dedbf01c6d.jpg

They were closed up when I was acclimating but already starting to open. I guess they like it.

You can actually see one of them opening their mantle O_O so fast.

How fun to have such a large space to play around with! I’m envious! Looking forward to see your journey with this 200g and all the interesting additions you will be putting in the tank!

Was it you that got the durasa clam that was auctioned off?

No I won Bruces blackwidow nem. I wanted the deresa clam but I need to save my money for some other expensive purchases. Annnd I got two trich-blah blah maximus clams already haha. (Forget their long formal name)

Back