Kessil

Peter's Garage Tank

I am aiming for stability and have heard that it is "the canary in the coal mine" and the second your parameters goes south it dies. It is a Reef Raft Citr that I got from Tim out of Folsom

I’ll try again. I’m going to wait for Copps to cut his again. I had a mini colony from him that lasted 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing how sensitive this coral is, I really tried to be gentle getting it into my tank. I did a long slow acclimation to my tanks water, put a couple of drops of glue on a rock and laid it on the rock without ever coming out of water. We shall see.

I've never tried one. Isn't enough "cooler" to me than an orange digit or a setosa to spend money on or worry about killing.
It's a deeper water coral isn't it? Has anyone tried lower temps or lower light with it?

Yep, tried it @ 74°, which didn't do much for long term survival of it. Others have it at higher temps too long term, so I don't think temp is the issue.

Oh, here's the parameters from Copps' (John Coppolino) system. He grows red dragons like weeds.

Temp: 76-79
pH: 7.8-8.0
Alk: (the only thing I test regularly) 8-9 dKH
Nitrates: low single digits... usually around 1
Phoshpates: 0.05 to 0.12

Last edited:
So I got a warning letter from PG&E that my electricity use is more than 4 times my "allotment". This may mean my fish tanks as a hobby time is OVER. We are using about 1,400 kw per month. This really sucks!

So I got a warning letter from PG&E that my electricity use is more than 4 times my "allotment". This may mean my fish tanks as a hobby time is OVER. We are using about 1,400 kw per month. This really sucks!

Yeah. Big tanks use a lot.

Although I have a big tank, and a pool, and am less than that.
Time to measure everything. Get a watt meter, write it all down.
I did that, and changed several pieces of equipment.

Your heater is likely the #1 user of electricity. Insulation and tank covers help.
Pumps and Powerheads can vary a LOT by brand/type.
LED lighting.
Some people switch to a gas heater and even solar hot water heater.
And of course - Get solar.

Well lets start with lighting. What is the absolute minimum I can run blues? daylight? Currently I have blues run 12 hours and 7 hours of daylight

Back