Kessil

Peter's Garage Tank

Could you install solar tubes since the tank is in the garage?
My garage roof gets no sun. I am going to turn my lighting down to blue 10 hours and white 5.5 hours. Also switched my pge from the tiered rate plan to the "time of use plan" I am adjusting my tanks so that the lights are off by 4pm. Does anyone have experience with shorter light periods?

I don’t understand why they care how much electricity you use. You’re paying the BILL, NOT them.
So what if you use 10x the allotted amount for s household your size.
You might have 20 kids living under your roof. What do they want you to do, have your kids do their homework in candle light?

I don’t understand why they care how much electricity you use. You’re paying the BILL, NOT them.
So what if you use 10x the allotted amount for s household your size.
You might have 20 kids living under your roof. What do they want you to do, have your kids do their homework in candle light?
I dont think they really care, they just tell you so you know why they are "sticking" it to you. That and after the pge bill tripled, my wife gives me "that look"

My garage roof gets no sun. I am going to turn my lighting down to blue 10 hours and white 5.5 hours. Also switched my pge from the tiered rate plan to the "time of use plan" I am adjusting my tanks so that the lights are off by 4pm. Does anyone have experience with shorter light periods?
Isn’t the time of use plan cheaper at night? You could run a photo period opposite of day time. Also, what temp do you have the heaters set at? You could probably go down to between 72 and 74 without any change. @Ibn did your cooler tank have anything different with it other than temp?

Isn’t the time of use plan cheaper at night? You could run a photo period opposite of day time. Also, what temp do you have the heaters set at? You could probably go down to between 72 and 74 without any change. @Ibn did your cooler tank have anything different with it other than temp?
Yes, higher rates are between 4-9pm. I will have the lights go out before 4pm. Chaeto light on at 9:15pm. Temp is 77, tanks are insulated. To change the temp I would need to deconstruct the rock-work and that aint happenin"

Yes, higher rates are between 4-9pm. I will have the lights go out before 4pm. Chaeto light on at 9:15pm. Temp is 77, tanks are insulated. To change the temp I would need to deconstruct the rock-work and that aint happenin"
I dont understand. How can temperature setting be affected by rockwork?

For the temp, I think the thought was: Set controller to only turn on heaters at night. Let tank cool during the day.

I would say, run your lights at night, off peak, it will also help warm your tanks so you can run heaters less.

Also tunze has submersible led lights which also function as heaters. I have two I’m not using, that I used in my refugium.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/wate...XEEv1KcxoP_RMC-epGAjLUTRFxPNZ4uYaArRnEALw_wcB

But if I were you and really wanted to cut down my electricity bill, I would decommission or consolidate tanks (from what I remember, you have several in the garage).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont understand. How can temperature setting be affected by rockwork?

For the temp, I think the thought was: Set controller to only turn on heaters at night. Let tank cool during the day.
So when we were setting up the tank, the 300 watt Jaeger heater was too tall to place vertically so we mounted it horizontal on the bottom of the backglass, Now to get to it I have to move a bunch of rock wall and acros.
I am not sure how much $ I would save by letting the temp. swing down and have to reheat vs. run steady. I dont think the corals would like the swings?

I may pull one of the garage tanks but I really enjoy them. I would really like to decommission a couple of the freshwater tanks that we have but am having issues finding a good home for the 100g turtle tank, the convict cichlids, and the huge plecos I have. For now I am going through the house finding ways to cut down usage. I dumped our second fridge (just sits empty anyway) and little tweaks here and there.
Cheers! Mark

I didn't have any issues at all running the tank at 73-74 degrees with the fish or the sps. My heater kicked in less than it does now since it was much closer to room temp (72). In fact, I'm about to bring my setup temp down due to the swing. It's been doing the 76-78 swing recently, so I'm just gonna bring it down to 76.

I may pull one of the garage tanks but I really enjoy them. I would really like to decommission a couple of the freshwater tanks that we have but am having issues finding a good home for the 100g turtle tank, the convict cichlids, and the huge plecos I have. For now I am going through the house finding ways to cut down usage. I dumped our second fridge (just sits empty anyway) and little tweaks here and there.
Cheers! Mark

How big are your turtles? I have one that could be looking for a home with other turtles. Had it for 17 years so hes getting too big for my current tank.

If you have any frag size tanks or nano tanks to decommission, I could buy one off you.

How big are your turtles? I have one that could be looking for a home with other turtles. Had it for 17 years so hes getting too big for my current tank.

If you have any frag size tanks or nano tanks to decommission, I could buy one off you.

:eek: I dont need more turtles

Back