High Tide Aquatics

Rygh's 250 gallon - rev.2

Toss a couple blocks of Marinepure in now to cycle and then transfer the fish over with them. I did it prior and didn't have any issues with the fish or cycling.

So it begins....
:cool:

Temporary tank for fish is set up. Thanks to John for loaning me the stock tank.!!
John has a really nice glass tank, with a distinct lack of scratches... Made me think of upgrading again...
I have a sizable pile of rubble in there, but could be better.
I have to cut up some old 2" PVC pipe from yard. Might pile that in. Lots of surface area + hiding spots.
Made a fish-protector for skimmer intake.
I just used tap water, with chlorine/chloramine neutralizer. It is only for fish.
Probably add Ammonia + Dr-Tim bacteria tomorrow.
Still needs lights on a timer.
I might use my old algae scrubber lights also, to deliberately grow algae. Hmmm.

IMG_2646.jpg
IMG_2644.jpg

Darn saw this post late... if you still need anything, let me know. I used to be big into koi and had ponds so I have big uv sterilizers, pumps, intex pools, overflows, etc. Looks like you have it taken care of though. Goodluck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a lot of progress cycling.
Still seeing Ammonia, no Nitrite. Been a week.
First time I have tried these "quick cycle" bottles of bacteria.
Maybe I need more, or got a bad batch.
Although there was a bloom with cloudy water for a little while.

I added a lot more surface area. Lots of cut up old 2" PVC pipe.

PVC contributes very little to usable surface area for bacteria. Porous rock or something like MarinePure blocks needed. I think you have rock in there, right?

Also in my opinion the Dr. Tim’s works way better to cycle with fish instead of dosing ammonia. That’s the recommended and still best method, I believe they came up with the ammonia method later as an alternative when people balked at putting their fish in an un-cycled tank.

PVC contributes very little to usable surface area for bacteria. Porous rock or something like MarinePure blocks needed. I think you have rock in there, right?
Good point. Yes, I have a pile of rubble in there. I could put some sand in as well.
Not hard to buy a MarinePure block either.

Also in my opinion the Dr. Tim’s works way better to cycle with fish instead of dosing ammonia. That’s the recommended and still best method, I believe they came up with the ammonia method later as an alternative when people balked at putting their fish in an un-cycled tank.
Yes, I have heard it is better.
Basically - constant low source of ammonia, instead of a large amount all at once.
But I still want to see ammonia start dropping a bit first.
I guess when the Ammonia drops to a more reasonable level, I can put in the blue chromis, and see how it goes.

Back