Reef nutrition

Peter's Garage Tank

You might also want to consolidate your water circulation pumps, instead of several ones, use one that pushes enough water but still use less energy.

And since you are sharing sump with your tanks, why not leave the heater in the sump instead?

Another reason Where I’m dumping cheap gears and upgrade to better ones because they are more energy efficiency in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
No swing on heater mark. Just find a lower temp it can stay at consistently with less heat input. Consistency is key

So I have heard both sides on temperature.
On the other side:
In nature, it happens daily, normally.
And supposedly, if you do that, it acclimates the corals to wider temp variation, so they can then withstand occasional high temps better.
But then, I read that on the internet, so it must be true...

I have put an offer on a 180 gallon tank, but the seller is dragging her feet thinking that somehow her tank is worth 3 grand. If I can get it then I can cut a lot of equipment by just running one large tank.

And since you are sharing sump with your tanks, why not leave the heater in the sump instead?

It will take a certain amount of energy to heat a given amount of water. Regardless if you run 1 heater or 15, your energy use will remain the same.

I have put an offer on a 180 gallon tank, but the seller is dragging her feet thinking that somehow her tank is worth 3 grand. If I can get it then I can cut a lot of equipment by just running one large tank.
That would really help.

And better more energy efficient gear will help. Especially as I understand it, oversized DC pumps that you can run at less than max are more energy efficient and also quiet. When I upgraded from my ~90g total volume setup to my 200g total volume I also got more efficient pumps/etc and didn’t have a noticeable difference in energy usage.

Edit- Of course my heater usage went up, but no noticeable change in return/skimmer/powerhead energy use is what I meant even though they are all pushing more water.

Last edited:
It will take a certain amount of energy to heat a given amount of water. Regardless if you run 1 heater or 15, your energy use will remain the same.
Not disagreeing with you, I’m just speaking of accessing the heater so you won’t need to touch your rocks.

That would really help.

And better more energy efficient gear will help. Especially as I understand it, oversized DC pumps that you can run at less than max are more energy efficient and also quiet. When I upgraded from my ~90g total volume setup to my 200g total volume I also got more efficient pumps/etc and didn’t have a noticeable difference in energy usage.

Edit- Of course my heater usage went up, but no noticeable change in return/skimmer/powerhead energy use is what I meant even though they are all pushing more water.
One large tank would mean that I could disconnect a 150 watt heater, return pump, aqua lifter, and a powerhead. I would save power for sure.

I might be able to take your turtle tank if you want to get rid of it? I want to give my turtle friends and a bigger home haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We tried to have more than 1 turtle in the tank and they were fighting and mating all the time. But yes we are looking for a home for it. It is a 100 gallon with rolling stand, filter, rocks and lights. Live stock is a turtle, 4 plecos, and half a dozen convict cichlids.
Cheers!

We tried to have more than 1 turtle in the tank and they were fighting and mating all the time. But yes we are looking for a home for it. It is a 100 gallon with rolling stand, filter, rocks and lights. Live stock is a turtle, 4 plecos, and half a dozen convict cichlids.
Cheers!
did you mention that plecos are largerthan your turtle? :)

One large tank would mean that I could disconnect a 150 watt heater, return pump, aqua lifter, and a powerhead. I would save power for sure.
actually you may want to leave 2 heaters in the sump, so the idea is, if one fails, other one will continue to work. use a temperature controller so you wont need to fiddle those two heaters.

3 grand?
Even high end starphire, a brand new one is less than that. Or does it have some fancy stand?

Cheers!

What is the tank dimensions? If I can find a place to fit it, I would be fine rehoming them.
I
s your turtle a boy or girl? I think mines a boy. Maybe we could do a test playdate and see if they fight? Dont want to take the tank and everything if they just end up killing each other.

Mine is a male.
Foot print is 19"x 62" - cost is free - I am home all afternoon and can help you load it up
IMG_4510.JPG

My parents were part of the Bay Area reptile association years ago. The had over 40 different species of turtles and tortoises and was able to find homes for them all mostly through the club’s forum. You may want to try that (if they’re even around anymore).

It looks like a red eared slider. I’m not saying you should but if it found it’s way to a nearby lake, it would probably be just fine, hypothetically of course.

My parents were part of the Bay Area reptile association years ago. The had over 40 different species of turtles and tortoises and was able to find homes for them all mostly through the club’s forum. You may want to try that (if they’re even around anymore).

It looks like a red eared slider. I’m not saying you should but if it found it’s way to a nearby lake, it would probably be just fine, hypothetically of course.

My turtle is too domesticated to survive the wild I think... he gets excited and crawls up to me whenever I walk by.

I have tried rescues to no avail. I will try again. I could never put it in a lake or pond or creek. Just wrong on several levels

Back