Reef nutrition

Sand recommendation?

Starting to plan out my tank upgrade, thought about going bare bottom but I have four fighting conches that have been good to me and I don’t want to give them away. So I’m thinking of going with maybe a couple inches of sand. I want to go a little finer than what I have now, I have crushed corals currently and don’t like em. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mixture of Tropic Eden ReefFlakes and MicroFlakes is what I used last time and it held down relatively well with 2 MP10s in the 47G. Using some Fiji pink in current tank and it's not holding down nearly as well, but there's a ton more flow. I'd go back to straight ReefFlakes if I was to redo it.

I have fish sleeping in sand, so I’d think the reactor media wont work for me.

Debating between sand of 1-2mm or 5mm. Will wait till July 4 to buy then.

Will it be better to mix the reactor media and aragonite sand?

If you’re going to sand dwelling creatures you shouldn’t use any significant portion of crushed coral. Neptune’s “#3” sand is what I use, which is a bit larger than 1-2mm, and it doesn’t blow much and I have 2 mp40s going at 90%. My sifters do fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fish sleeping in sand, so I’d think the reactor media wont work for me.

Debating between sand of 1-2mm or 5mm. Will wait till July 4 to buy then.

Will it be better to mix the reactor media and aragonite sand?
I would avoid mixing that if you are going to plan on having fish that sleep in the sand, as far as I can tell there are no real benefits to doing that

So I ended up going with carribseas special grade.. ordered them during BRS’ Memorial Day sale! Thanks for all the recommendations!

Jepoy,

What power heads do you plan to use, how many and power level? Tank size?

Keep us posted on how you like the sand.

I am on the fence.
I am in the planning stages of a tank upgrade so I’m not sure myself how much flow the tank will have. I don’t plan on having too much sps if at all.. so maybe not that much flow will be needed. Either way I’m definitely starting a tank journal soon to keep everyone posted. [emoji846]

I use Tropic Eden mesoflakes, they're between reef flakes and micro.

If I had to do it again, I would do mesoflakes with a layer of reefflakes mixed in to keep things from blowing around at first. Though after about 8 months, all the smaller chunks have been blown away and all that's left is the larger stuff that doesn't move.

Back