High Tide Aquatics

Peter's Garage Tank

0.4 phosphate. Any ideas how it got up to such a high level? Running GFO will knock it down, but make sure you don't do so too aggressively or quickly.

0.4 phosphate. Any ideas how it got up to such a high level? Running GFO will knock it down, but make sure you don't do so too aggressively or quickly.
I have no clue. Perhaps it is leaching from the rocks? I think I am going slow by just using a tablespoon in the reactor??

Possibly. Might want to see if it is indeed caused by the rock. Pull a small one out and see if you can test it over a few days time frame. 1 tablespoon should be a good starting point to work up from.

As we were building our reefs we got rocks from no less than 8 different sources, impossible to isolate each batch for testing. I will just continue down the path I am on slowly.

RO/DI unit was delivered today. I picked up the BRS 6 stage deluxe plus - 75gpd. It has a pressure gauge and dual TDS monitors. I have it all hooked up and am now making my own water. I decided to mount it out in the side-yard so that I can use the waste to water the garden. I cant see throwing 3 gallons of "good" water down the drain for every gallon of reef water I make.
Phosphates are still above .25ppm and nitrates are right at 5. Phosphate is coming down slowly. Gonna continue the same feeding and increase the GFO to 1.5 tablespoons.
Cheers! Mark

Ever since the Monterrey Bay aquarium tour I’ve had the impression that maybe our coastal seawater doesn’t cut it for closed reef aquariums... what did Matt say, the seasonal water upwelling drops the seawater alk to 6dKH and raises phosphates to 0.2ppm?

Ever since the Monterrey Bay aquarium tour I’ve had the impression that maybe our coastal seawater doesn’t cut it for closed reef aquariums... what did Matt say, the seasonal water upwelling drops the seawater alk to 6dKH and raises phosphates to 0.2ppm?
Yeah, it was fine for us the first year - very stable and easy. But now that I am really into the sps, I need the incoming phosphates to be 0000
Cheers!

Mark, I highly suggest mounting it inside (at least for winter months) and adding a second membrane online fed with the waste from the first membrane.
You can still run the 1/4" tubing outside wherever you want the waste to go. You will get better mileage out of the prefilters, and use less overall water.
What pressures are you getting?

I installed mine on my new house for drinking water (no di though) and I had to open up my regulator all the way and still was only squeezing by with 50 psi. I may look for a booster pump too.

@daddio I got a 100’ of the 1/4” drip line from Home Depot for the waste. It’s was like $10 or something.

Back