Neptune Aquatics

CDA 87G

Ah okay. I'll stick to the current setup for now. The Kamoer can go down to 1 mL/sec, so there's still plenty of room for adjustments. I was running at around 18 mL/min or so before I got the Kamoer and alk had dropped from 8.0 to 7.3 right after this last batch of sps were added. Slowly bringing it back up to 8.0 and stabilize there.

Cool...watching [emoji16], since I would need to invest in dosing equipment soon.

What supplements are you planning on dosing, ex. Triton, ATI, red Sea, aqua forest, etc..
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forgot to answer this question. At the moment, not dosing anything outside of just using the reactor. The calcium reactor has some mag in it so it covers the big three. Haven't been dosing any thing other than whatever the reactor produces. I was using Red Sea Reef Energy A/B for the aminos beforehand, but haven't been consistent on it, and haven't used it on the tank in over a month.

Triton is only if I did an ICP test, which I haven't ever done on the tank, at this point. If I did, then I'd use the dosing lines that I added to the sump when I built it. At the moment, there's 6 JG fittings and only 2 are being used - 1 for the ATO and the other has just been altered (cut a longer piece of rigid tubing) for the Kamoer feed pump. If you're wondering why there's 2 Kamoer pump boxes in the picture, one is serving as the backup and in storage, just in case. I'm actually sitting on a bit of equipment at the moment, including two set of dosing pumps (BM doser + 4 head expansion, DOS still in box). TBD on what I want to do with them still...

So what's the mentality for a continuous pump with calcium reactors? Is it simply because the lower pH in the chamber you want to try do small continual dosing so the pH doesn't hop around? I would think doing 2x faster with half the amount of time (say 30 seconds on/off) would have the same average effect on pH just possibly some minor spikes and lows.

This sucker pops under Kessils. There was a huge frag in another tank and doesn't look like a Miyagi or anything along those lines. Will see if it holds the colors and its eventual growth shape.
2018_06_25_neptunesps07.jpg
If this one was from Neptune’s it could be an Oregon Tort, they have lots of that lying around. I still have three Neptune-acro-unknowns that I haven’t given up on yet, it’s fun to watch them.

If this one was from Neptune’s it could be an Oregon Tort, they have lots of that lying around. I still have three Neptune-acro-unknowns that I haven’t given up on yet, it’s fun to watch them.

@Chromis If this is the piece you're talking about from Neptune's, it's not likely an Oregon Tort. I got a frag from them a while back ago. It has a bit too much green to be a true Oregon. Seems to grow much faster than an Oregon as well. It doesn't really look like it's a Cali either. It's probably some wild tort that has some nice mixes of blue and green color to it though.

Not_Quite_Oregon_Tort_20180626_0497.jpg

So what's the mentality for a continuous pump with calcium reactors? Is it simply because the lower pH in the chamber you want to try do small continual dosing so the pH doesn't hop around? I would think doing 2x faster with half the amount of time (say 30 seconds on/off) would have the same average effect on pH just possibly some minor spikes and lows.

The mentality with continuous pump with calcium reactors is basically to regulate the effluent. It's better to regulate on the feed side instead of on the output side of the reactor. This has to be done using a valve, preferable a needle valve, which can clog and doesn't have the finite adjustment of a continuous feed pump. With a feed pump, you basically regulate how much water goes into the reactor and leave the effluent side wide open.

You can also do what you mentioned, by pushing more water through the reactor, but then you have to up your co2 rate to keep the chamber below a certain pH so that the media would melt. This would then cause your solenoid to be on for longer, use more co2, and possibly drive your pH even lower in your display tank.

I agree with Randy, this isn't the Oregon. I have a legit OG Oregon, from Sang, that looks very different. The Oregon carries no greens in its body and is just a solid blue. Here's the Oregon that I had before the crash.
oregon_torts_120717.jpg

The one at Neptune that Randy and I have with the green base and blue tips is a wild tort. Brighter than the typical Miyagi, but doesn't pop like some of the others with similar colors (e.g. RR Aussie gold, eCorals unknown).

My bad, I meant Cali tort, not Oregon. Always mix up the corals named after states. Neptune’s has a ton of Cali tort. I put them in two spots in my tank and seems like they can have a lot of green or very little depending on factors unclear to me, but the color shades on your pic look really similar to mine.

The one at Neptune that Randy and I have with the green base and blue tips is a wild tort. Brighter than the typical Miyagi, but doesn't pop like some of the others with similar colors (e.g. RR Aussie gold, eCorals unknown).
Wild? Not my guess Oregon probably and wow, what a cool pick-up then!

$260 on Amazon through Champion Lighting and Supply. Receipt shows that it was shipped from Coralvue. You can pick up two of these for the price of a used Masterflex.

Seems to be working well so far at 20 mL/min. Alk measured the same as yesterday, 7.7.

Wild? Not my guess Oregon probably and wow, what a cool pick-up then!

Yeah, this one came off a colony with a maricultured disk, so it's not a captive.

Just a heads up, but there's gonna be a decent sps shipment coming in from Australia tomorrow. 20 boxes of Aussie sps were ordered, but unsure when they'll have it in their tanks (depends on when the boxes land after their 22 hour trip).

Back