Jestersix

MakerFaire 2018 - reef-pi & pico reef tanks exhibit

Good afternoon fellow reefers,
MakerFaire, the largest show and tell on earth, involving thousands of makers, DIY artists, hobbyists is happening this weekend 18-20th May, at San Mateo Event Center. It's a family-friendly event that attracts adults and veteran technology enthusiasts alike.

I have been taking part in this event since last year as a presenter, to spread the words about captive coral propagation, pico tanks and my pet project, which is an opensource reef tank controller using Raspberry Pi. This time I'll also include few online community emblems (like BAR, R2R, Adafruit etc) that has played critical role in reef-pi development.

41198868615_18d0b990ab_z.jpg

If you live nearby, I would definitely encourage you to attend makerfaire. If you are attending makerfaire, drop by to reef-pi booth on zone 7 (dark room exhibits) :)

I have even created a BAR logo pin, my printer is in pretty bad state, and the color got all blurred after mod podge coat, but still it looks cool, and will be on-display as well
41212630565_a9571f53cf_m.jpg

I'll be there with kids! See you around - I think I saw you last year but kids wanted to see R2D2 club and I couldn't stop at your booth. Do you know your location already?

I wish I had seen this post a few months ago! Just joined BAreefers, but read through your whole thread on R2R a while back. Great work! I've been a *nix geek since the late 90's and have always wanted to dive into raspberry pi. Seems like there are so many things the system can do. Great to see it incorporated into reefing! I'll definitely go this route if I add a controller to my tank.

I wish I had seen this post a few months ago! Just joined BAreefers, but read through your whole thread on R2R a while back. Great work! I've been a *nix geek since the late 90's and have always wanted to dive into raspberry pi. Seems like there are so many things the system can do. Great to see it incorporated into reefing! I'll definitely go this route if I add a controller to my tank.
thank you. You should totally give it a try, make a small temperature monitor or power strip controller :)

thank you. You should totally give it a try, make a small temperature monitor or power strip controller :)
Wow. I never saw this post when I was not keeping up here. I have never used raspberry pi (and failed miserably trying to make an underwater robot) but some students in my school’s programming classes use it. I will be having 2 classes of marine science elective each semester this coming year, and I bet there will be some kids who have coding, maker class, and my class as their electives. Or if there are a couple random interested kids I could call them teacher aides but make it really a time for them to work on projects like this. How cool for them and our tanks and they could learn so much from the process! I have an Apex on our big tank, but no controller on others, so this would be great. I will talk to the tech/maker/shop teachers in August and start there. I am so glad you posted!

Wow. I never saw this post when I was not keeping up here. I have never used raspberry pi (and failed miserably trying to make an underwater robot) but some students in my school’s programming classes use it. I will be having 2 classes of marine science elective each semester this coming year, and I bet there will be some kids who have coding, maker class, and my class as their electives. Or if there are a couple random interested kids I could call them teacher aides but make it really a time for them to work on projects like this. How cool for them and our tanks and they could learn so much from the process! I have an Apex on our big tank, but no controller on others, so this would be great. I will talk to the tech/maker/shop teachers in August and start there. I am so glad you posted!

Let me know if I can be of any help. I have a bunch of additional pi 2 and other microcontrollers (gemma, particle, trinket etc) that I do not use anymore. These are STEM/beginner friendly. Adafruit has an extensive set of tutorials on almost all of them, in case you want to get started.
reef-pi 2.0 will be released around Thanksgiving and I am planning to publish all the new guides by then, in learn.adafruit.com, that will significantly reduce the burden of making builds.

Back