got ethical husbandry?

2018 CFM official thread

Could you let me know what time setup is friday and what general duties will be for those taking shifts? Getting new members to sign up, gathering tickets for raffle, telling people who walk by the benefits of BAR, etc.

OK, Thanks for the update. I am out of town for a couple weeks starting on the 2nd (badly needed vacation which I already had to reschedule) so will not be there either. I can spearhead logistics from here, but unfortunately will need someone to take charge getting setup done on Friday.

Friday Night Setup: @NelsonCh and @Chromis

Booth Duty
11-12: Kim Pattison
12-1: @NelsonCh
1-2: @Ranjib Dey
2-3 : @Ashalye
3-4
4-5

Take down booth: @fishdoctor (Mike)
I can do booth duty 4-5 and takedown. I will also stop by at 11 to drop off a laptop so people can sign up “on the spot” if they can’t use their phone. For the setup night before, I’d like to pick up the banner, raffle jars (are those BAR or CFM jars?), raffle tickets beforehand. Anyone know who currently has those? We need help to print fliers with basic info, benefits, and check if any of our sponsors will let us add a cut-out coupon at the bottom.

@Corallus who are BAR current sponsors and can you check if we can add a cut-out coupon for any of them to our info flier?
@ranjib with that info can update the sponsors (and BoD) listing on our site so it’s easier to find this info?

@jepoy do you have the banner? Do you need it back to make modifications, or can you print the new sponsor info out for us to add to the banner?

Some of them weren't "sponsors" when we decided on the banner. The decision was made that BAR would support the good shops in the area as part of the reefing community. They had valid reasons not to sponsor us and we felt we should still support them while we worked on the issues.
I agree with not wanting to go through the trouble and expense of redesigning and reprinting the banner every year as sponsors change. Would use up most if not all of our raffle money. So using the same banner, or maybe adding a new sponsor taped along the bottom or over an ex-sponsor?

But I don’t understand why we would want to advertise for businesses that have actively withdrawn support for our club. Even if they are a good company that we all shop at anyway. Or maybe especially if our justification is that they are a good company, because then what does that say about our opinion of other companies that aren’t listed?

Also I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it this year, so I don’t want to commit ahead of time. If I can come I’ll help out though.

With so little time I don’t think it’s reasonable to get a new banner, nor is it cost effective. I like the sticker over the ex-sponsor idea if that can be done quickly. Like @JVU, I also think advertising companies that are not current sponsors is not a good idea. The reason being is that it’s not really fair to our current sponsors since they have spent the money to be promoted by the club. Having other business promoted for free (even if they’re good businesses) wouldn’t encentivise me to continue to pay to be a sponsor.

I can do booth duty 4-5 and takedown. I will also stop by at 11 to drop off a laptop so people can sign up “on the spot” if they can’t use their phone. For the setup night before, I’d like to pick up the banner, raffle jars (are those BAR or CFM jars?), raffle tickets beforehand. Anyone know who currently has those? We need help to print fliers with basic info, benefits, and check if any of our sponsors will let us add a cut-out coupon at the bottom.

@Corallus who are BAR current sponsors and can you check if we can add a cut-out coupon for any of them to our info flier?
@ranjib with that info can update the sponsors (and BoD) listing on our site so it’s easier to find this info?

@jepoy do you have the banner? Do you need it back to make modifications, or can you print the new sponsor info out for us to add to the banner?

Sorry for the late reply, but I don’t have the banner, nor did I have it printed. I only designed it and sent the digital file to Bruce. I would be happy to set up any other digital file just let me know.

I’m also waiting for the go signal to create the online banner or flyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry for the late reply, but I don’t have the banner, nor did I have it printed. I only designed it and sent the digital file to Bruce. I would be happy to set up any other digital file just let me know.

I’m also waiting for the go signal to create the online banner or flyer.

After reading the above, I support getting the banner redone. I can get it printed and have it delivered to @Chromis.

@jepoy , can you generate a revised digital file for the banner with the new sponsor added? And, how long will that take? I will check with my printer and see how quickly she can get it turned.

After reading the above, I support getting the banner redone. I can get it printed and have it delivered to @Chromis.

@jepoy , can you generate a revised digital file for the banner with the new sponsor added? And, how long will that take? I will check with my printer and see how quickly she can get it turned.

Not long at all, just need to know the revised list of sponsors (who to omit and who to add) and an email to send it to.

Just a thought for future banners. Would it be worth considering 2? One would be a more permanent BAR banner. The second one would be a sponsor banner that pairs with the main one.

This would allow for future agility and reduction of expenses. The sponsor banner could also be a digital kiosk that scrolls between sponsors (instead of the second banner addon).

Just some future thoughts. Sorry for the Monday morning quarterbacking.

Just a thought for future banners. Would it be worth considering 2? One would be a more permanent BAR banner. The second one would be a sponsor banner that pairs with the main one.

This would allow for future agility and reduction of expenses. The sponsor banner could also be a digital kiosk that scrolls between sponsors (instead of the second banner addon).

Just some future thoughts. Sorry for the Monday morning quarterbacking.

Piggybacking on this idea.. how about just printing the banner without any sponsor logos and just having the sponsor logos printed on stickers yearly?

Piggybacking on this idea.. how about just printing the banner without any sponsor logos and just having the sponsor logos printed on stickers yearly?

I was thinking the same thing. Would the stickers be able to hold up being rolled or folded while on the banner? Also, when it came time to remove them, would they damage the banner?

I was thinking the same thing. Would the stickers be able to hold up being rolled or folded while on the banner? Also, when it came time to remove them, would they damage the banner?

I haven’t done the research yet but I’m pretty sure there are a variety of reusable stickers that we can get get printed that won’t damage a vinyl banner. I can try calling our printer for work and ask. I will report back later

Donations
We are going to hold off on donation from Kessil for the regional swap. But, how about member donations? I can donate a couple of bonus corals such as Mummy Eye Chalice, Copps Calacali Acro, Green Goblin Anacrapora. Just need to figure out how to get them down there.

@grizfyrfyter has offered to print a couple of things such as Vortech controller mounts and/or Ecotech Anemone guards.
@Kim Pattison has offered to donate a clownfish pair

Last edited:
Apologies for joining in late in the conversation, but at least I've been in some communication with Will.

So for LFS sponsors, Fish Doc, License to Krill, and Clearwater Aquatics (embarrassing question am I missing anybody?) - I'm happy to reach out to all of them and ask if they would like to be included in a flyer, and if they'd be willing to offer a coupon, or something similar, as part of that. As Will mentions, I'd like to reserve asking for more from Kessil until our regional swap (they have been a great supporter, especially with the recent facility tour). I think raffling off of corals that our club produced is a great way to highlight our club. Speaks directly the quality of our members. Hopefully someone can be coral Uber for Will, and hopefully a few more folks will chime in with a couple of nice pieces. But of course, we should save the best for the regional swap ;).

Back