Reef nutrition

Yep another new Wrasse

This is my second attempt at the Choati and being 2 weeks into it I’m feeling pretty good. Eating , swimming and being social.
40019D9F-F366-4753-BC5F-90313B7D4EEE.jpeg

Where do you guys get these small choati from? I've seen them at AC before, but they were ginormous.

I only purchased mine when I was able to confirm it was eating. It was still touch and go once it got in my tank and wouldn't touch anything for quite a while. The success rate on these guys is dismal, and frankly they probably shouldn't be collected. There is a trick that increases your odds though. All Leopards have an amazing internal time clock as to when they disappear into the sand at night and then emerge. Chaoti's are collected on Australian reefs and their time is adjusted to their "home" time. To increase success in getting one to feed you have to force a time change. Put it in an acclimation box for four days (always a good idea with many wrasses anyway). This changes it's sleep patterns quickly and gives it a chance to feed. I still would never buy one that wasn't voraciously eating before I did this, but it's a method that does help.

Yep totally agree that this fish should not be collected due to their survival rate. Only reason I agreed to accept this one is it was eating well and looking very healthy. I watched it eat before going in my tank. It did disappear for 3 days ( which I expected ). Came out and swam for a bit then back to the sand. Now it’s out all day , eating good and being social with the other wrasses

Back