Jestersix

Moving Tank Thread ( Help Needed )

Are there special wrenches just for bulkheads? I always just used channel locks.

Same here. This tank is the first tank I actually felt like it was beneficial to use one. That said, I got them all loose with channel locks after i gave up trying to find the "wrench".

I dont know if you have ever looked at a Marineland DD stand, but man are they lacking free space and very low profile! They look cool. Just a headache to work in when you are old :D

Are there special wrenches just for bulkheads? I always just used channel locks.
Yep.
You can spend $25 for a wrench that fits one specific size/vendor. :mad:
I use channel locks also.

You can make one also, if you have the right size pipe and a dremel.

I toss the gasket, and use silicone glue on everything. Those gaskets can be hit and miss.
You can remove it later, with some difficulty, but no leaks.
I disagree, but to each their own. I would never glue in a bulkhead, and have cursed people for having done such when I've been trying to remove them later. Have you ever tried silicon grease? Sooooooo easy.

I disagree, but to each their own. I would never glue in a bulkhead, and have cursed people for having done such when I've been trying to remove them later. Have you ever tried silicon grease? Sooooooo easy.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but of the 10 or so bulkheads I've installed, I've never used silicon grease or silicon and haven't had a leak yet. Do you guys have issues from the gasket breaking down/drying out?

No, just much easier to install with the grease. I used to have to use a wrench often and or retighten after a failed leak test before using the grease. Now, tighten by hand. Pretty much never leaks.

I used the gasket and no silicone and mine never leaked from the bulkhead. I used threaded fittings though and always had salt creep from one of the joints. Next time I’ll use the slip fittings and glue everything. It was tight enough to not see moisture but the salt was evidence that there was a leak. I wanted the threaded fittings just in case I’d need to adjust something but never did.

I used the gasket and no silicone and mine never leaked from the bulkhead. I used threaded fittings though and always had salt creep from one of the joints. Next time I’ll use the slip fittings and glue everything. It was tight enough to not see moisture but the salt was evidence that there was a leak. I wanted the threaded fittings just in case I’d need to adjust something but never did.

Use liquid Teflon pipe sealent for the threaded bulkheads. It's a little messy, but it can be cleaned up. Haven't had a threaded bulkhead leak or salt creep yet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-T-Plus-2-in-4-oz-Teflon-Pipe-Thread-Sealant-23631/100201204

Back