High Tide Aquatics

White sand or Black

Hawaiian Black or White sand

• Total voters
Hi all, I've been slowly getting ready for another tank build. I've been a closet fan of reefs done with "black sand" bottoms. But, unfortunately there are very few to admire. I'm at the point in my build where I'm ready to place an order for sand. What do you prefer? Cast your vote for Black or White sand.

most things I've read about black sand is that in contains metals that are magnetic, while they may be inert in salt water if you use a magnet cleaner it could literally wreck your tank.

Black looks awesome but have to be careful when cleaning glass with magnet cleaner. Scratch my glass with some sand attaching to the magnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My vote was white too but that’s my preference. You’re the one that’s going to be looking at it. If you like black go with that.

I have seem some great freshwater tanks and FOWLR with black sand.
But once you add all the coral, it just seems odd to me.
Especially as it gets old, and bits of rock and coraline get mixed in, and turn it greyish.

I had a tank with black sand, very minimal rockwork and a bunch of zoanthids. Looked really great! One downside is that it gets dirty quick. Any little detritus will show up. Ultimately my sand looked speckled, not a solid dark black.

The speckles were pieces of shell (from snails, hermits), bits of rock that fell off, poop, and other bits.

EDIT: My vote is white sand. Tropic Eden Reef and Meso Flakes work well. Or you could go starboard bottom.

I had a tank with black sand, very minimal rockwork and a bunch of zoanthids. Looked really great! One downside is that it gets dirty quick. Any little detritus will show up. Ultimately my sand looked speckled, not a solid dark black.

The speckles were pieces of shell (from snails, hermits), bits of rock that fell off, poop, and other bits.

EDIT: My vote is white sand. Tropic Eden Reef and Meso Flakes work well. Or you could go starboard bottom.
Other members have been telling me the same thing. The black will not hold it true color once detritus and other normal reef wear and tear set in. Black may be too much up keep for me. I’m glad i did the poll. Everyone’s opinions have giving me a clearer vision now.

Definitely need to learn the art of siphoning sand with black, and it's not too bad a trick to learn with white sand too. Black sand tends to be a bit heavier than white though since I don't think they have the "oolite" blends, so it is a bit easier.

What's sand go for nowadays? I remember way back when seeing it anywhere from $1-2 per pound locally, cheaper online but then shipping ate into that cost savings.

Definitely need to learn the art of siphoning sand with black, and it's not too bad a trick to learn with white sand too. Black sand tends to be a bit heavier than white though since I don't think they have the "oolite" blends, so it is a bit easier.

What's sand go for nowadays? I remember way back when seeing it anywhere from $1-2 per pound locally, cheaper online but then shipping ate into that cost savings.

That's always been my opinion as well. Sand is cheap. I siphon off a prety reasonable amount at every water change and then once every few months add another bag back in. When I add back in I do it slowly (a few cups at a time) and over a period of about a week.

I have had black sand and hate it. The particles are magnetic, can scratch glass, sand sifting critters hate it, sand eating critters like sea-cucumbers don't thrive eating it, it can ruin impellers, etc.

I have been removing it slowly with a strong magnet on a stick.

There's just no upside. Never again.

Thinking back, someone used tiny black glass marbles. Freshwater tank.
No issues with magnetic scraper. Easy to siphon. Will not move around in flow.
But seems like a big detritus trap.

Back