Cali Kid Corals

Hello from Oakland

Steve Tyree wrote a couple books on this back in the day. I attended a lecture he gave in 2003 (I think at the Seattle Aquarium Club) on creating cryptic zones in our aquariums to encourage sea squirts and sponges to grow.View attachment 10295
Incidentally, I have some very large live rock pillars from @coral4me that have large sponges and sea squirts on them. I've never seen my water so clear. I should read up on this again and see if I can get more of them to propagate.
For those of you looking for these books, they've been out of print for years, but Reef Farmers has recently reprinted them in digital form here:
https://reeffarmers.contentshelf.com/shop

Awesome thanks for the link! I remember hearing about his crypic zone concept at one point and I think watching a video showing one of his crypic stock tanks, but hadn't been able to find it. I'm going to order "The Porifera" now. I've been reading "The Biology of Coral Reefs" by Sheppard, Davy, Pilling, and Graham which has a short, but interesting section on sponges (though doesn't cover aquaria). It talks about some species being able to filter out cyanobacteria and even viruses -- as well as removing as much as 93% of all particulate matter in the water column. I assume that means at some point in a reef tank too many sponges would compete with corals for food, though.

Love the dendro
Thanks! I have another one hiding in one of the rear corners that I can't get to sprout another head despite target feeding ~4x per week for over a year now. Not sure if they always grow that slowly...

dendro.jpg

Back